1mm clear colourless cast acrylic

Can anyone point me to a supplier in the US ?
I can find it in UK, via ebay, but no sign of it in USA, so I may have to bring some back with me.
John :upside_down_face:

http://www.eplastics.com/ACRYCLR0-040PM12X36

2 Likes

Unless Iā€™m mistaken, their 0.040" acrylic is extruded, not cast.
The cast range seems to be traded as ā€˜luciteā€™ rather than ā€˜plexiglassā€™, but is only available down to 1/8".
Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, as the price structure is good.
John :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Youā€™re probably right. I had two tabs open and probably grabbed the wrong one. Iā€™ll look to see if I can find the other again

Iā€™m now contemplating casting small pieces of my own from a suitable clear casting resin.
Does anyone have any experience of this they would care to share ? In particular US suppliers of resin, possibly UV curing.
Looking to produce pieces about 1" x 6" x thin !
:upside_down_face:

Thatā€™s brilliant if it works. Custom colors anyone?

But those are usually epoxy, which as I understand is not recommended in your laser. I believe you can also get polyester resins but they usually cure white, not clear. If thereā€™s a clear curing polyester, Iā€™d like to know of it.

If you could live with 1/16th inch (1.59mm), professionalplastics.com has it in cast. Itā€™s pricey though. $132 for a full sheet 48ā€x72ā€.

Is this what youā€™re looking for?

https://www.dickblick.com/products/castincraft-clear-polyester-casting-resin/

1 Like

Thanks! That might be laserable.

1 Like

If I managed to cast that as a 1mm sheet, that would make a 12"x20" work out at ~ $5.60, if I were to buy a quart, to get the free postage.
Mmm, food for thought.
Thanks Arnold.
EDIT though Iā€™m still more attracted to the idea of uv catalysing, I must admit.

1 Like

Ah, just found this, but havenā€™t read the small print.

1 Like

Looks like fun stuff to try! Keep us posted on your testing.

I wont be reunited with Glowfinger till the beginning of September, unfortunately, but that does give me lots of thinking time !