1st 3D engrave project! Success!

I’ve had luck using soap/water and then immediately following up using a good, hot hairdryer.

Denatured alcohol (from Home Depot) in conjunction with a 2” paintbrush does a fine job removing most of the char and since it is a mixture of ethanol and methanol (with essentially no water) the wood doesn’t swell and warp. It dries quickly too. After trying isopropyl alcohol and the orange cleaners, I have settled on denatured as my go-to cleanup agent.

6 Likes

Nice…i was going to do almost the same things for my friends who work for dpw and the fluffers…sweet piece man

That’s awesome, you should! I was wondering if anyone here would know what that was. I’ve worked for DPW for a long time. I bet we have some friends in common, though i did take a three year break so I don’t know a lot of the new people on crew.

I hadn’t thought of using a hair dryer, great idea. I just put a paper towel on top of it and left is sitting under a gallon jug of water overnight. The paper towel absorbed the excess moisture and it flattened out pretty well. This method is obviously not ideal and would not work for larger objects.

1 Like

After scrubbing with a solvent like alcohol or acetone, @mpipes had a great idea of rinsing with a blast from a spray bottle of the solvent. Putting a little velocity into the rinse. :+1::sunglasses:

3 Likes

What a great idea!

1 Like

It really is. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that!

2 Likes

Nice, I started two years ago working at the staff bar with jake and been friends with Erika who runs the water and snacks truck for a long while now. That engrave is pretty bad ass thought… cant wait to start my own pew pews. Should be here in like two weeks. Whoohooo

While I am unaware of who DPW is, I do know where Black Rock Nevada is…well when it’s inhabited.

They are all the wonderful folks in charge of building and running everything you see for burning man

1 Like

I hazard a guess that that is the case. Never been to the big Burning Man event, even when I lived in Vegas. I am doing the little regional burn events here in Texas though. Lots of fun and great people.

1 Like

I love Nipps! I worked for Heavy Equipment this year, used to work for Power before my hiatus. Happy to have met another DPW member here! ONE OF US!!! LOL.

I’m working on a color inverted 3D engraving in acrylic right now of the same image. I reflected the image vertically and inverted the color so that it will be viewed from the untouched side. I’ll post my results here when done.

My name is Summer BTW

1 Like

Awesome…love the randomness. Nipps is known everywhere, suppose to be headed there this year if all things fall into place. I own a cafe and it’s rough with all the travels I want to do and stay as long. Fun times. Yay productivity!! Lazer friends unite!!

That looks amazing!

For my SLA printer I buy 99% isopropyl alcohol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGYX7HO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I started an entire thread for the warping issue, if you figure out anything awesome, let me know - but there’s a couple gems there, but doesn’t seem like we’ve found a silver bullet.

1 Like

Pretty cool looking emblem in 3D! :grinning:

1 Like

Beautiful! You can definitely check this off as a success. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Looks great!