2.5D engraving of Grand Canyon

My first 2.5D engraving. :grinning: It turned out better than I expected just playing with grayscale in MS-photo. I am sure better results could have been achieved with photoshop. This was more experimental, quick and dirty. But very encouraging results, so now I am thinking of engraving and then adding a layer of road map engraved in acrylic. Need to figure out how to align the two maps though.

Size is ~4x4" on BB plywood (non-PG, no masking tape) engraved at 600 speed, 60 power, vary power setting and 450 lpi. Took about 33 minutes on GF-basic. Used a toothbrush to gently remove soot and dust. Light sanding with 220 grit sand paper.

I am attaching the file in case anyone wants to try it out. I will post the method once I have everything sorted out. Grand Canyon North Rim

26 Likes

Nice work!

FYI, the software this community is based on will delete a raster from an .svg uploaded - so you can either drag a straight raster on here, or put the .svg into a zip file to get it to show up. Also, when you first upload it’ll be tiny but you can edit the code to enlarge the size (it’ll be like 10x12, make it 100x120 or whatevs) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah, that’s the problem, I could see the code in the edit but it would not post the file. Thank you for the clarification.

4 Likes

This looks great!

1 Like

Hey man, that’s the most fun I’ve had with this tool - the treasure hunt of exploring materials!

1 Like

The acrylic overlay sounds really neat! You’ll have to update your post if you get the roadmap added. :grin: Looks nice!

1 Like

Looks great! Keep going!

1 Like