20"x28" 60w Chinese Laser Cutter

True enough but for what was pictured here (the calendar tile) it’ll be fine. Anything up to about 12x12 can fit in a (slightly) modified Chinese laser. (BTW, this is just a bigger version of the generic “chinese laser” - a 60W vs 40W and 20x28" vs 10x14"). No pass-thru slot & motorized Z-axis table but able to do just about the same things in a slower smaller form factor. If 12x12 size is enough, it’ll do it. 60W just lets you do something with less power/faster. Not really much difference in the max material thickness.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t have the patience to learn the skills to set this up properly. I’d get frustrated and it would sit in the corner of the basement. Gimme a GF!

Understood and agree. There are some significant niceties and upgrades with the larger 60W demonstrated. Not sure but I think that particular model is somewhere between $1500-$2200. It’s probably close to a cutter that I would pull the trigger on.

1 Like

The controller in this one is a significant upgrade from the k40 besides all the other upgrades. This one was 2200 Including shipping from California. Mirror alignment was super easy with a laser pointer diode and now it works great, I still can adjust the mirrors a bit more but so far so good!

1 Like

Yeah. After having played with the k40 and seeing what the redsail does I would definitely throw down for one if I didn’t have the glowforge in the queue.

One thing I’m really considering making is a laser head that has vacuum ports and a cross surface air assist. That way it would get rid of a lot of the smoke staining by pulling it above the material instead of across it.

Either way, I really like @apix 's machine and what he’s making with it

3 Likes

Ditto. But I have anytime access to a 60W with an 18x24" bed and all the other goodies on this one (but it cost our MakerSpace $5K). I’ve got a Smoothie board to upgrade the electronics on my K40 so I think after the GF comes (or Christmas break if the GF is further delayed) I’m going trip the K40 down and rebuild it with a 600x900mm bed and an 80 or 100W tube.

For someone who is getting their GF in 2017, getting one of these would be a great idea. I bet you’d get a year’s use and be able to sell it for nearly as much as you pay for it now.

I hate to say it, but I am considering canceling my GF order. I was quoted $3899 for a 100w laser with Z-axis and rotary tool including shipping. It is 1200 x 900 mm with a pass through slot. I have been so excited about getting my GF, but at this price and getting it in 7 days, it is hard to pass up. I love what GF is doing and their support. It is a tough decision.

Does it have autofocus?

It’s almost tempting to me. I’d love a laser with those specifications but I don’t think I’m prepared to give up the promise of autofocus, easier to use software, and less need to tinker with is.

3 Likes

Yes, they said they would add auto focus for free. They are working hard to sell me the machine. I am holding off to see if they lower the price even more.

1 Like

I’d get one of those in addition to my GF. That’s a great price for that size bed & power. Close to what I was expecting to spend on my custom build after I get my GF and don’t need the K40 anymore (I’m planning on stripping it for bits & pieces maybe and using LightObject’s other components).

I don’t think I could financially justify both. :frowning:

1 Like

If you buy the laser cutter on eBay, you get 30 days to return it, and the seller pays the shipping! It doesn’t even matter what the seller’s return policy is; just tell eBay that the item was not as described and eBay will stop at nothing until the seller has been completely screwed over! eBay won’t care if you’re lying… in fact, they encourage buyers to lie. Yay!

1 Like

I thought this was photoshopped at first – it’s so tiny and detailed!

so far so good! this is a file off thingiverse

7 Likes
14 Likes

Looking good, may have to get one.

I think I’ll cancel cable when my GF arrives. I’ll just watch cuts. More entertaining than many shows on TV.

10 Likes

Auto everything is one reason to stay with the Glowforge. Also the ease of software. After a week with a K40, I’ll be glad when my 'Forge arrives. Until then, I’m having a blast with the Cheapest of the Cheap Chinese!

4 Likes

11 Likes