2018 Christmas Ornament - 3D Tree

I make a Christmas ornament for family every year. I’ve been doing it for about 25 years now, which is kind of hard to believe. Each year, I use a different technique… I’ve done felting, soldered glass, silk painting, cinnamon applesauce shapes, etc. This year is 'forged.

After attempting, and failing, to create an altered version of the nativity ornament that I was happy with, I started from scratch to make these 3D trees. I had hoped to share the files, but my Inkscape skills are still shaky, so that’s not going to happen just yet. Still, I’m very happy with how they turned out. PG walnut and maple.

42 Likes

Came out great.

1 Like

That is beautiful, great job!!! Love the little dangly snowflake!

1 Like

That turned out great.

1 Like

Nailed it! And useful for future years by changing out the dangly bit.

2 Likes

That is SOO fun. It’s got some jingle jangle.

2 Likes

They turned out excellent! Like that little snowflake heart too. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks! I think it would be fun to swap out the snowflakes for custom orders, like a basketball or drama mask, state outline, etc.

1 Like

Very nice. I hear you about the Inkscape skills learning curve. Now I know what I should have done while my long wait to get the glowforge.

2 Likes

Elegant ornament! Well done!

1 Like

The funny thing is that I tend to learn software very quickly… I’ve used all manner of high-end image/video editing software packages and even done some CAD work back in the day. I’m not particularly good at any of them, but I can get around. None of the vector tools have “clicked” for me, but now that I need to do specific things, I’m getting the basics down. Slowly, but surely…