21 "Best of 2021"

Holy moly. Wow!

2 Likes

After much thought, and before I read this comment, I have come to accept being “hated” and I will share why…

Years ago I was deep into photography and many, many people said I should sell my work in art galleries. I thought to myself, “Why? Photography is not ‘art’. I’m not creating anything, I’m simply documenting it.” Then I posted one of my images on social media. The very first comment read “This is absolutely beautiful!”. The second comment read, “This image makes baby Jesus’ eyes hurt.” I wondered how the same image could generate two completely different comments. That’s when I realized photography can be an art. In my humble opinion art evokes emotions, good or bad. And although not my intent, the image I posted had done that.

Of course my goal in creating things is not to make others upset. But “hate” is an emotion. And emotions are good (even bad ones). One of my motto’s in life is “Follow your idols until they are your competitors”. Often times when I try to make something I fail. Then I get mad I failed. I don’t like being mad so I try again. And again, and again, and again. I try until I either get it the way I want it or the “fire” goes away. But the effort is driven emotion.

So being hated, in the context of your comment, is acceptable. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Such complex designs - they are truly mind boggling in their detail! Thank you for sharing all the photos!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Not weird at all. I’ve often wanted to make a coffee table book of artists work spaces. I have asked the same question of a lot artists and have seen a lot of spaces. What I’ve learned is that they are often not what I had expected. They are usually messier, smaller, and more unorganized then I would have thought. Sometimes they are neat and pretty but not always. Mine is NOT.

My forge is in my garage and often doubles as my “work table”. My secondary table is actually the box it came in standing vertically next to it. If it’s freezing in there or I need more room, I’ll use the kitchen table - much to the objection of my wife, lol.

As much as I would like to have a neat, clean home studio, It’s just not the way I “work”.

10 Likes

Well, believe it or not, I often feel the same way. So the bad news is that feeling may never go away. :slight_smile: But I try to share anyway and encourage others to do the same.

5 Likes

LOL. I never was good at math.

In my defense, I consider that one piece. It was a gift to my wife as we meet in Colorado, got married in Arizona, and now live in Nebraska.

6 Likes

I love this more than I can say. I almost always have multiple ongoing projects scattered throughout a few spaces, and my workspace(s) appear chaotic. I like to convince myself there’s some rhyme/reason to the chaos - mainly that tidying as I go seems redundant and somehow hinders my creative flow. Your GF crate worktable made me smile. I have a huge table in my studio that’s piled with my schoolbooks and back-burnered sewing projects while my current workspace is three plastic Christmas storage bins in the entry hall that need to go back to the basement. Someday.

2 Likes

After reading this long reply I feel that I need to directly say that I used the word “hate” completely tongue in cheek. We love you and your work it’s just so darn good! And yes it is art.

5 Likes

Thank you!

1000% the hardest thing is getting ideas from the head to the hands right?

I had to Google “Sacred Geometry”. I didn’t know that’s what it is called but love it too. One of my “pipe dreams” is to be able to create files to make the Platonic Solids. Will likely never happen but it’s okay to dream, lol.

Aside from the 100’s of pieces on the shell, that bowl is not as complicated as it looks. The frame is really simple. I’ll attach a .pdf and some pics if you want to play with it. And if ya have any questions about how I did it, please don’t hesitate to ask. :slight_smile:

Bowlai.pdf (348.4 KB)

5 Likes

All very awesome but the treehouse is my absolute favorite. Very cool!

2 Likes

Now I have to google Platonic solids lol. You are most kind for attaching a PDF. Thank you!

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous work! 2022 will be a standout year for all of us creators!

2 Likes

Man, do I empathize with your description of your work area. I have a small shop in my basement, half of which is taken up with cooking supplies and pots and pans. My GlowForge is on a table just big enough for it, my gluing, assembly and painting area is a 2’ x 1’ sheet of 3/4" plywood clamped down on to the top of my very small but very accurate table saw (a Byrnes saw). Almost everything has to move when I want to do something that’s not right at hand.

Oh, and the computer for my GlowForge is a macbook on a pedestal That can swing in and out of the way. Other than that it’s wood, PG supplies, paint, hardware for boxes, etc. and brushes.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I even created 21 things last year.

These are absolutely stunning.

4 Likes

When I read things too fast it gets weird! I got “my work area is so small… my computer is a matchbook” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For myself, the GF is the only flat space that big in the house, and I am trying to have a movable setup to make that a GF/photo studio.

3 Likes

Love your work!

Hahaha. I read things like that all the time. Makes for a fascinating pseudo-conversation.

2 Likes

Been there, done that. I feel your pain.

2 Likes