3D bear

I was asked a few days ago if I could take a bear silhouette and make a 3D print. This was a new and interesting challenge to me so I wanted to relate my steps.

I got the silhouette image file

Went to a cookie cutter making site which took the silhouette and gave me a 1mm thick outline stl file

I took the 1mm thick outline file into tinkercad and removed the cookie cutter handle

I then made it a “hole” and unioned it with a block that it completely cut through

This made a solid bear with a bear dough left over as it were

I took this new file into meshlab and deleted the unused dough and then exported the remaining solid bear.

This I then put into my 3D printing software and adjusted it and then printed it

:grin:

13 Likes

pics?

6 Likes

Ditto! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen as they say.

10 Likes

Can do but it will have to wait until later :grin:

3 Likes

Well, poot. :persevere:

2 Likes

Screen shot or it didn’t happen

5 Likes

Boooourns. I demand pics or highly detailed pastel drawings!

2 Likes

Oils and acrylics are not admissable !!

4 Likes

Of course not ! Pastels bring that warm feeling with a hint of whimsy.

Omg I can’t remember the last time I had occasion to use the word "whimsy ".

4 Likes

18 Likes

Coolness! Is that your first 3D print? :relaxed:

3 Likes

Nope, done lots of prints :slightly_smiling_face: What I am most proud of is my making the rapter hands for kids with ABS with e-nable

7 Likes

Awesome gig…there are a couple folks here who do those. :relaxed:

1 Like

You have some funny shaped bears where you live!

11 Likes

I already gave the bear away so I thought I would start with a new silhouette :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I am anxious to try this out! I am new to 3D Printing and I purchased this to play around with. May have made it simpler for you. http://www.doodle3d.com

3 Likes

I love the steps that you did, but was it more of a “how would that work in this program” or was it “that was the only way to get what you wanted”?

1 Like

I like Pi.

Especially apple.

2 Likes

It was the way I figured it out on the fly with google guiding me :grin: I had never done this exact thing and wanted to use web services as much as poss. :slightly_smiling_face: