3D Delrin Engraving

Continuing the discussion from Delrin Testing (Settings):

So I just had to try the seal design in my Delrin test with 3D engraving. I took the letter C into Photoshop and added an outer glow with a custom contour, plus a Neon Glow filter, to give some greys around the shape of the C. Flipped it horizontally and added it to a 0.75 inch vector circle. I engraved it with the following settings: Speed 1000, power 100, Map Greys to Power with minimum power 10, 675 LPI. The one on the left is with one pass and the one on the right was with two (it went all the way through the 1/16" Delrin). But I got a really nicely curved 3D engrave, as you can see when I push polymer clay into the Delrin:

I guess I need to get some 1/8" Delrin, or use that 1/4" stuff I’ve got.

54 Likes

I like the 3D effect on that - a lot. :grinning::+1:

5 Likes

Very fine. I am so looking forward to getting a full embossing setup in Corian or in Delrin. Soon, soon.

4 Likes

Wow–these look great, and the settings are very helpful. Thanks for sharing this!

2 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

So cool! Thanks for sharing the settings - I need to add them to my master list!

1 Like

It really does look like a wax seal on an envelope!

1 Like

Neat experiment and result!
@takitus has displayed some of the most striking 3D engraves I have seen, I am anxious to see what he does with the map power to gray setting.

3 Likes

thanks! me too… cant wait to get my pro =)

3 Likes

Heck yeah! Love dem curves.

I use delrin regularly but not with the 3d effect… did you ever get your embossing plates made?

No. I have corian and delrin and I have never spent the time to make the two parts of cope and drag or whatever you call them for embossing. So many unfinished projects.

1 Like

Yup…I’m in touch with that…I use my Glowforge everyday but still have so many ideas to try

2 Likes

So much this

2 Likes