3D engraving of a Hyperbolic Pentagon Tiling

This came out SO well. Mathematica, to inkscape, to glowforge interface. It’s a 12" diameter, 1/2" thick, pine disc that I picked up cheap from Lowe’s. The engraving look a whopping 2.5 hours, but I love how it came out. Finding that non-proofgrade is engraving much nicer than proofgrade

35 Likes

Turned out nice! :grinning:

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Kinda fractal.

1 Like

Basically yes! (Feel free to stop there before the math explaination) The pattern is regular in hyperbolic space, but not in euclidean space. Hardest part of this design was getting the code together to find the vertices of each shape.

3 Likes

Thanks! Took over 2 hours and I had to roll the dice with a thunderstorm, so I’m glad it turned out.

3 Likes

This is stunning!

1 Like

This is an absolutely beautiful design!

1 Like

Wow that is great! I was looking at those at Lowes thinking in terms of mounting it on top of a base I was thinking how to make tall enough and strong enough, and thinking of engraving holes for fingers on the bottom. For some reason I had not gotten to thinking of the top.

I wonder if Mathematica could work out the design in 3d that would make a strong 28" base?

I cobbled together a bunch of ideas that survived structurally but artistically not so much : https://community.glowforge.com/t/a-proof-of-concept-big-and-round/24000/9?u=rbtdanforth

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like