3D Marble Maze

I received my Glowforge about a month ago as I wanted to start making toys and puzzles. Here’s my latest creation.

It took quite a while to design, due to the weird shape. It’s cut from 3.2mm birch and 3mm acrylic, though the acrylic gives it a bit too much weight so I might find some thinner acrylic for future iterations.

Fun fact, none of the acrylic is glued to anything, it’s all held in place by the outer case and the maze on the inside. The results were super precise so it fit together perfectly. I think I will strengthen the case before making one for a kid, as I don’t think it’s quite sturdy enough for kid treatment.

Cheers~

89 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You are obviously going to be making lots of fun things.

4 Likes

Awesome! Welcome @Portponky
Very cool creation!

4 Likes

Welcome, and I love your marble maze! You will love all the fabulous things you can make with a GlowForge.

4 Likes

Whoa! That’s some serious neurosis design skillz!

5 Likes

Looks like it is fun to play. :blush:

4 Likes

Very nice! Toys and puzzles are a great use of a Glowforge.

4 Likes

Well, you’re off and running. That’s a cool design!

3 Likes

Love it. Thanks for sharing your aMAZING creation!

3 Likes

How cool is that!!

2 Likes

Wow! Never seen anything like that on the forum! Terrific work! Cant wait to see the next puzzle!

2 Likes

Amazing! And here I was wondering how you were making it out of marble.

Gluing anything to acrylic is hard. E6000 sort of works, but I have not found anything I like.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of 3D planning that came together nicely! Are you designing in 3D software?

3 Likes

There are always some prototypes before the final product.

1 Like

That’s really cool!

1 Like

That is a great puzzle!

2 Likes

Your use of mixed materials makes this extra-nice. (And extra-difficult to design and make!) Really special. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

No, I designed it in Inkscape, which was a little tricky. My strategy was to build a large 2x2x2 frame for the central slices, then fit 8 small 2x2 structures to fill out all 8 octants. It worked okay, but has a lot of split connections that don’t look great. It also had about 35 similar looking pieces, which made construction a fiddly mess.

This is the second attempt, and I’ll probably refine it further…

4 Likes

I love it! Never seen anything quite like this before.

2 Likes

This is awesome! I’m sure you have many more amazing ideas in mind. Just remember to be careful about advertising anything as ‘toys’ if you haven’t gone through the federal guidelines :slight_smile:

2 Likes