3D Nativity Scene from Catalog

I’m selling holiday decorations at a local school event this weekend, and was looking for something new to add to the mix. Ivan’s 3D Nativity design in the Catalog caught my eye, so I made one.

Overall, I’m pleased with the result, but the tabs and slots were not sized correctly for medium maple, so I spent over an hour laboriously filing them to fit, significantly impacting potential profit - so much so that I’m only making and selling the one. It’s a shame, as I think it’s potentially a good seller for this audience.

29 Likes

That really stinks. I know errors can happen, but would put off many from catalog designs.

It does look great!

3 Likes

His files look like they are suited for 3mm baltic birch.

3 Likes

This turned out beautiful!

2 Likes

Turned out nice! Try a different wood maybe? And good luck at the show this weekend. Hope you do very well.

2 Likes

Made another one today using unfinished 3mm ply sourced from Amazon/Woodpeckers…

Snapped together with perfect friction fits! No sanding or filing required. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

The contrasting woods really look great. I used maple and cherry, but I like yours best.

2 Likes

The dark layers are also birch ply, colored with an alcohol pen.

My first one was maple and cherry, as well.

Did you have issues with material thickness?

3 Likes

I had a little bit, but I had read where others had the problem and I just filed the tiles a little.

2 Likes

I just finished printing one out, but I used draftboard. Thought I would try to paint it. We’ll see.

Got it painted. I love how it all fits together so nicely. And snapping the roof panels on was somehow very satisfying! Loved hearing the “click” as they snapped in place. Very happy with this. Although I accidently threw the middle of the star away. Oh well.

5 Likes