3d Packing Simulator

It seems like it is a bin packing problem, but the the parts are “other bins”. You seem (this is not a criticism) to be driving the problem backwards. As in I have a fixed outer box, and I want to know the combo of all the boxes that can fit inside this box (I don’t quite understand if this is 2D or 3D). But I agree with @eflyguy that this seems to rapidly become infinity? Maybe the challenge here is I can’t understand how you don’t know the shape/volume of the pieces to into the boxes ahead of time? I am reading your statement above as “I need to know how I many ways I can divide up a cubic volume into other somewhat constrained other cubes?” and I suspect others are interpreting it the same way. Th example you linked to (the deepwater one) looks like they made a standard drawer divider thing (along with the drawer) like you get at any Home Depot where the user can move the dividers to make arbitrary boxes instead of trying to anticipate. and for a parts bin this makes total sense (since I have no idea what size screws/bolts/nuts you want to store), but for a game presumably the pieces are known and 99.9% of people are going to want to colocate tokens of the same type (money all goes in the same bin). If you are trying to ease the task of making a new design for different games, that is in fact where the parametric CAD solution is the winner. That is exactly the demo Autodesk has for the parametric tool box (where the drawer sizes/shape/number is based off some external constraints and by changing simple outer constraints remakes the number of bins to fill the volume)

3 Likes

Link?

bin packing is trying to find the most efficient way to fit things inside the smallest space possible
I don’t care about efficiency I simply want to plan a fixed space. I really want the inverse of bin packing

bin packing wants you to know the dimensions of your contents I don’t want to know that I want to know the space I have left

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.