3D Paper Star

It didnt always work on the first try but we had a pretty good success rate. Usually the problems would come up in actual production with either order of operations, or a design detail that was either too tight for the tooling available or the size of the workpiece just made it really tough to work with.

1 Like

this is good news. as a graphic designer, i definitely have plans to print on things and then cut/engrave them. both on the GF as well as the Universal my office is getting in the next couple of months. the idea of short-run die cutting and engraving is a big part of what i want to do.

1 Like

I totally want to make one of these! Where did you get the pattern? (or did you make it yourself? D:)

1 Like

How much of a difference does scoring the paper make when folding something like this? Very cool end result.

1 Like

@michell_tateoka I made the pattern. I actually modeled it in Fusion 360 then translated the facets into a 2D pattern.

@newbies_234 The scoring makes a huge difference. It gives the paper a controlled place to crease when you fold it, instead of my heavy hands mangling it. :slight_smile: Also if the score is just right, you can easily fold the paper over with a couple fingers instead of having to lay the piece on a flat table to do it. The paper almost kinda “snaps” right over the score line.

6 Likes

scoring is integral to making a clean fold, and even more so when the paper gets heavier. i use a scoring machine to do straight lines at work when folding covers and other heavy sheets as well as to make saddle stitch booklets. the difference between that and trying to fold w/o a score is night and day.

i’m really interested to see what the score lines look like and how they work once i get my GF.

1 Like

Folding, scoring, engraving and cutting paper is like, literally, my entire business. This thread has me almost passing out with potential excitements. The Silhouette Cameo got me some interesting results (at huge effort and failure rates), so Can I Has Glowforge Plz?

I want the things I made in the past to look like garbage sooner rather than later. I’m pretty sure the GF will make that possible. Where is the GIF for “so many ideas my headz explodez?”

ascendant special edition

24 Likes

Gorgeous. And yes, you will love your Glowforge. It will make that job so much easier.

2 Likes

Tell you what…you won’t have the problem of a blade hanging up in tight corners and tearing the paper with the laser that you do with the digital cutters. It’s pretty sweet. :grinning:

5 Likes

That’s the stuff my dreams are made of. :rofl::star_struck:

5 Likes

Star-struck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

already shared the pattern for this one in the Free Laser Designs category but here’s an 8 point star I made last night.

10 Likes

What type of paper did you use? What was the setting? I don’ see any scorch marks. I’m very encouraged by seeing these results.

the material is 110lb card stock, just the average/low grade stuff from the local Staples. There is no scorching on the cut edges however there are tiny hot spots at the starts/stops of each cut or score. Can’t share the specific settings in this section of the forum but doesn’t matter anyway, everyone will need to do their own testing for papers. This 8-point star actually needed different settings than the 5 point star even using identical material.

5 Likes

What are the settings for the cutting lines for 110# cardstock… what are the settings for the score lines?

What are the settings for the cutting lines for cardboard… what are the settings for the score lines?

Will be receiving my glowforge this afternoon and looking forward to starting… will be working on paper and cardboard

Unfortunately he can’t answer that in this section … (4 legal reasons). :wink:

If you do a search for “Settings” in the Beyond the Manual Category, all of those questions are answered, along with tips and tricks for dealing with the various materials.

The Beyond the Manual category is the only place we are supposed to discuss non-Proofgrade materials, and any settings that go …well…beyond the manual. :smile:

1 Like

Oh… ok… yes, I’ve perused through the Beyond the Manual Category and I’m picking up some tips here and there.

Denise Trahan

Jules Regular
December 7 |

Unfortunately he can’t answer that in this section … (4 legal reasons).

If you do a search for “Settings” in the Beyond the Manual Category, all of those questions are answered, along with tips and tricks for dealing with the various materials.

The Beyond the Manual category is the only place we are supposed to discuss non-Proofgrade materials, and any settings that go …well…beyond the manual.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

denisetrahan Owner
December 7 |

What are the settings for the cutting lines for 110# cardstock… what are the settings for the score lines? What are the settings for the cutting lines for cardboard… what are the settings for the score lines? Will be receiving my glowforge this afternoon and looking forward to starting… will be wo…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.