3D Topographic map w/ photo transfer

You have no need whatsoever to hesitate showing us your stuff—it’s all outstanding!

Work in progress on the next one

9 Likes

Looks like you have a wonderful helper!

3 Likes

The one thing I wanted to get in hirez (and got) was the area of Dry Falls that very short duration floods made such a huge impact. Seeing that part of of the river was a choke point on the way to the sea I was wondering if or how those effects can be seen today or if Mt Hood erased them?

1 Like

Finished up 2 more this weekend. 3M super 77 is really easy to use, but soaks through the paper and makes it look dirty. Modge Podge ends up being a much nicer finish, but i had some run over the edge and it made it hard to get my pieces back into the jig to cut out after finishing.

I’m going to try a few more this way before I start trying to transfer photos to wood instead of just glueing them to it.

EDIT: @Whengeekscraft - I just wanted to tag you to show you the progress, and also say thanks again for being the motivation I needed to pick up a glowforge for making maps!
I was talking to some map-nerd friends this morning about these and they just turned me on to these books - Atlas of Design . Some of the screenshots of the maps in there remind me of some of the maps I’ve seen you make. You should check them out!

8 Likes

'77 is a general purpose adhesive. 3M makes archive-quality stuff, and there are other brands available. Check art supply places like Dick Blicks.

4 Likes

Holy crap!!! That’s amazing!!!

3 Likes

And if anyone wants to see the site (for the Wenatchee Bridge project) in 3D, here’s a few links -

From the drone flight - https://cloud.pix4d.com/dataset/714590/model?shareToken=fa94686c-d2e6-4a71-8680-c7da1c12ad1b

In google earth - https://earth.google.com/web/@46.00785866,-117.36506842,443.6867611a,460.51637065d,35y,0h,0t,0r/data=CjoaOBIyCgAZLa9cb5vxP8AhvYi2Y-r4XEAqHDMxwrA1NiczNy42IlMgMTE1wrA1MycyMS41IkUYAiAB

1 Like

Truly spectacular!!

What a great project!

Have you watched any of the Crafsman’s videos? He’s got one about photo transfer on wood.

There’s always water slide decal paper, too.

5 Likes

Awesome timing. I was just looking at options on Amazon for photo transfer that worked with inkjet printers. I just ordered some “water slide decal paper” after you posted that.

3 Likes

New map tonight. These are just propped up with temporary supports right now, no glue yet. Really happy with the location selection.

16 Likes

Hello I’ve had my GF for only a few weeks. Was the frame around the Moana puzzle completed on your Glowforge?

I would so have loved having a job where I made maps. Especially elevation maps with real elevation. You do really nice work. Thanks for mentioning the decal material.

4 Likes

Hi Charid -
The whole puzzle was made on the glowforge. I cut out the outer shape first, then glued on the moana picture and sealed it, then loaded it back in and cut the rest out.

1 Like

Thanks Kelley. I feel very lucky to have a job making maps. Looking at the elevation shaded terrain right after a mapping flight finishes processing is my favorite part of each job. Never gets old.

3 Likes

I finally finished this one today after 2 tried at the base board photo transfer. Learned a lot on that, like how well a foam brush works to roll the paper off. I don’t think I’m a fan of the high gloss though.

And I started on this one last night, which looks like its going to be a real pain to start glueing together.

8 Likes

STAHP!!!

:rofl:

Constructive feedback - real photos in the sidebar looks better on the ‘Tranche’ one, imo. Photo engrave on wood is cute but not always the best way to get a message across.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, eflyguy. That Palouse falls one was pretty hastily put together and better picture selection might help, but I think I agree with you after seeing both side by side. I still don’t like the gloss on the Tranche one, though. Also having trouble hiding the sheen of the glue on the really steep ones like the Palouse falls model I started gluing together last night. I’m going to try matte modge podge on the next one I think.

I also thought it would be cool to do a cement baseboard instead of 1/4" wood. Has anyone tried transferring photos to cement?

1 Like

i hadn’t looked at this thread in a while. one other thought for images on wood is to literally print it directly on veneer. cards of veneer has sheets specifically meant for liquid ink printers, as well as toner based.

(scroll to

I’ve used ones designed for liquid ink on our large format plotter, then mounted that veneer to BB and cut.

2 Likes