3DforCovid.com is live and needs your help

Here is a comparison of a couple face shield designs (one is the Prusa) by @m_raynsford that you might be interested in:

5 Likes

Got the test print done. Now to get that PETG and ABS setup finished. Waiting on a contact for the sheet plastic.

5 Likes

From what I’m hearing the entire nation is running out of PETG. I have a special contact that is pulling some for me off of someone else’s order just go get more face shields out there.

You might have to fight to get it, but keep fighting. I’ve been getting pleading texts from hospital workers everywhere that they are in dire need.

And if you can’t get stuff for the shield part, only the halo, that’s fine. Send the halos in. We already have a few large producers making thousands of the shields, so we need a LOT of 3D printing power to match the laser output.

3 Likes

That’s good to know. Will work on it.

Maybe you should consider making the alternate shield described in the YouTube video I linked to above. He says it uses a lot less filament and prints in only 30 minutes.

2 Likes

We’ve started playing around with more rigid “halos” using Lexan and acrylic and cutting on the GF/CNC router. Also using transparency sheets for shields.

I have no idea the implications there. I’m just doing what I’m told. :slight_smile: But something else to consider.

I joined the slack Prusa group and am reading up on everything. I’ve been thinking about this since the early posts about Italy and makers. Hard thing is that I don’t have much mental space left to study and decide. I have farmed that out to my nieces and nephews and the nurses I know, including a respiratory therapist. Right now I am in the planning and gathering materials stage. I won’t be ready for production quite yet and by then there will be some clearer directions for local use too. I have to get my PETG dry box finished and an enclosure built before I can really get going on this.

I’ll check it out later. Thanks for the info. The more the merrier.

Here is the shield in green posterboard since I don’t have any thin PETG. I will bring the AI into Inkscape and change the collors to make sure inside is cut first. I used the PDF. DIdn’t think to throw a magnet in the middle. But this is why I did the cardboard.

Hello there! I feel like a novice compared to most users and usually try to stick to default settings in Glowforge. There were a few laser wizards at my old makerspace who could figure out settings pretty quickly, but it’s always been more challenging for me.

I’m reaching out for two reasons:

1. Sounds like PETG is hard to find right now. I was able to get a sheet of .040 Clear PETG from my local Interstate Plastics today (in Austin, TX). The guy I talked to told me that they had 200 sheets in stock. Tel is (512) 386-7422. Pricing I was quoted is between $24.25 to $32.50 per 4’ X 8’ sheet depending on qty purchased.

Info I’ve seen online called for thinner PETG. This mask - https://making.engr.wisc.edu/shield/?fbclid=IwAR3TXXd6ePJLHu2jMC_hBzSeXwQrAKzTB9kpQBojL1jlzFcr4B48oiLsgnI - calls for .007". This is the thinnest I could get.

1. Because I use my machine as a hobby, I’m not confident on the settings. I don’t want to melt my machine or put dangerous fumes in my house with my whole family stuck here. Can anyone share those here? It had a clear plastic film on both sides so I removed that, but I’m wondering if I need to tape up each side before cutting.

I’d like to create a couple masks to share with a few local contacts at places in town to see if it’s something they’d want to cut. But I keep reading not so great reviews of how it cuts on lasers.

2 Likes

@whitehill I had the same problem and have been trying to figure out PETG settings for the glowforge. I dragged the right-hand bottom of the comment box up and was able to click a submit button!

1 Like

@takitus, are we ok on a Basic with full power and 500 speed?

I have been printing this design for the last couple of days and have made my delivery to the company in ontario which is spearheading…inksmith in Waterloo- lockdown begins tonight at 5pm - after that it’s mail in only

Health Canada has approved this design - so production here is ramping up.

I would like to get my hands on petg sheets for the visor bit here in the toronto region - if anyone knows of a source…please reply.

Our local library system has 6n3d printers were are going to be operating to pump these out.
There’s another glowforge in our town as well. If we can get the petg we should be good. Perhaps acetate can work as well

1 Like

That seems to work well from reports in the field. I’ve been running these on my big laser and have a pro so can’t verify personally, but the picture at the top was from those settings on a basic.

1 Like

@virginia1, did you catch that? Are you familiar enough with testing procedures to work it out? Always easy to go fast and lower power and then do another pass after if it didn’t work out as long as you don’t shift anything.

Yes. I figured it out last night and have heard from several different people that they keep their plastic film on it to cut. Thanks!

1 Like

@dale1, check my post here:

1 Like

Thanks for your link, yup I’m on slack … and we are working to source materials now. I have about 40 sheets of 8.5x11 acetate in my house so - if this sort of thing works there’s probably tons gathering dust…I’ll read you post now, thx

Hi,

I’m looking to cut some masks with my glowforge. I’m looking for settings for .02 PETG. I have an order in for some, hopefully it comes soon.

We working with the local high school to use their 3D printers. We have contacts at the local hospital to distribute the masks.

My wife got designs from a friend in NYC, but if you have designs that you know work on glowforge I wouldn’t mind that either.

I joined the slack group, but haven’t been able to find settings on there (I’m new to slack, so I might just not be looking in the right spot).

Thanks,
Christian

Hello @ christiankaszas. Welcome!
On Slack, look in the left-hand column for the # Mask channel. There are a number of posts with Glowforge settings for different materials, and I’m sure more will be added.

1 Like

thanks that helped!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.