3rd project, 3rd day

Great job, especially for day 3

2 Likes

What a wonderful concept and execution. Great start!

3 Likes

Hmm. None of the BB I have has any knots. I love working with it, actually. But I’m buying it cut, so it’s pricey. I need to go figure out how much it would be from the local plywood place and compare.

Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

People talk about getting full 5x5’ sheets for cheap. Like under 20. It’s always cost me over 30 a sheet. I wasn’t very happy with the woodcraft stuff I was buying. It had no knots, but it had voids on the interior. I had them rip it with 2 cuts so I had (3)20x60s. The crosscuts were easy to do at home. But the initial rips were tougher.

2 Likes

Oocouch has BB 12x24 at $2.00 but as useable wood that is equal to $50.00 for a large sheet. I have purchased oak for between $10 & 30 a sheet and Revolution wood for $15 a sheet all cheaper than Oocouch though their wood is very nice

1 Like

Rugby building products in Atlanta (and elsewhere?) has it for like $13 a sheet.

You’re on a roll - I agree that you’ve definitely got it! Can’t wait to see what you’ll be up to next.

4 Likes

I’ve been buying from Woodpeckers on Amazon and have been really happy, but I just bought 12x20 sheetsfrom a place on Etsy. No voids so far. Locally, I’d buy from Boulter ply. Their 5x5 is $29 and void free. They charge $1.50 a cut, though. It’s not really convenient (or smart) for me to cut at home just yet and I’m not certified to cut at the makerspace. Probably will be in January.

I think the void-free BB is the cheapest option at Boulter. I’ll have to keep shopping around.

2 Likes

See, that’s what I don’t get. And I know that you know your wood. I don’t understand how it can be legit BB at that price.

2 Likes

These are awesome! My goodness … Excellent!

1 Like

Maybe it isn’t legit? They call it Baltic birch, it’s wood layers all the way down, it’s 1/8 nominal. It cuts relatively consistently, the occasional warp or inclusion misses happen.

1 Like

My Dad’s hometown … and my son’s favorite place to visit and watch the resurgence of a once great city.

1 Like

If it has knots it’s not (knots aren’t allowed, they’re supposed to cut out the knots & patch).

Are the patches (if any) either football or bowtie shaped and only on one side? The BB definition/standard says patches only on one side and also defines the shape.

That whole EU anal-retentive approach to setting a standard definition for everything can pay off sometimes :blush:

2 Likes

No surface knots, minimal patches on one side in bowtie mostly. Maybe a football, I don’t remember.

Sounds like BB. Just no clue as to how they sell it so cheaply.

=) A fellow Michigander! Very nice! #DetroitVsEverybody #LGRW #OnePride #SummerInTheD #DetroitBasketball =) Yes… I am a homer.

1 Like

Those a really sharp ornaments. Nice depth. You are starting off super.

See, the Glowforge really is a 3D laser printer.:rofl:

[ducks for cover]

5 Likes

Yeah, I’d say you’ve nailed it. Welcome to the community!

1 Like

I love these! Great work!!

wow these are awesome. I can’t wait to get mine :heart_eyes: