45 days to go

The big thing on the Pro that needs tested before shipment is the peltier cooling system.

If there is some issue in how those are wired, or where they are positioned, that cannot be fixed in software.

The other difference Pro to Basic are negligible on the hardware side. So I would love to hear about the cooling system at the least sometime.

8 Likes

I would REALLY like some update on when (if at all) we will be receiving them in December. I’d love to be able to make Christmas presents using my Glowforge, but we still have nothing to suggest when/if in December we will be getting them.

1 Like

please don’t plan on making Christmas Gifts with your GF. At best, you will get your email the first week of December asking for your address. @dan has said that you should plan 1-2 weeks for delivery depending on where in the US you are located (Sorry for those outside the US, I have NO idea how long that shipping will take). That means that you will get your GF somewhere between the 19th and 23rd.

Even on the 19th, you’ll have to take time to learn how to use your machine and re-design things to work with it’s parameters. You will be very hard-pressed to get a bunch of gifts designed, cut, assembled before Christmas, and that is assuming that we get the email in the first week of December…

7 Likes

2 weeks delivery seems excessive… If I can get a MacBook Pro from China in 3 days, or a package from Japan in 3 days to Toronto… I don’t see why this should take 2 weeks.

But yes… I have no expectations… .that just leads to further disappointment.

2 Likes

You might want to factor in the 100 lbs gross weight (Glowforge and packaging) when calculating shipping times.

I believe UPS and FedEx have a 70 lbs limit for general shipping times. Anything over that weight and beyond certain external dimensions gets put on ground only and 3 days or less pricing is unbelievable.

Check ebay for weighty items being shipped from China and such. Many will be 3 plus weeks out.

6 Likes

I sure hope that the delivery service of choice has a fleet of trucks with excellent suspension and good shocks that will carry them swiftly over this very bumpy land strewn with dead horses…

16 Likes

Not to worry, I believe all those horses have been completely flattened.

12 Likes

It’s not; everything has it’s own set of challenges and solutions. There’s nothing I’m particularly worried about with Pro hardware, but there are some different parts and things could always go wrong that affect one model but not the other (Pro vs. Basic).

11 Likes

No official word on schedued shipping @dan?

This.
Is.
Amazing.

7 Likes

If memory serves, that would be NHFxpress…

7 Likes

I suspect that even the most optimistic here don’t expect receipt in time to make Christmas presents, especially when considering a day or two of trial to get up to speed.

4 Likes

The Glowforge weighs considerably more and comes in a much bigger box than a MacBook Pro. That has some effect on shipping time.

4 Likes

I’m still hoping! Not counting on it. As I often do everything the last minute there’s still a chance :pray::package:

4 Likes

Hope springs eternal - just don’t bet the farm on it.

4 Likes

Or Christmas presents either. Otherwise expect to be shopping early Christmas morning at the gas station Quickie Mart for beef jerky in festive holiday packaging :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Best laugh of the day there… Thanks for that!

3 Likes

Personaly, I like beef jerky and don’t even care if it’s wrapped…

4 Likes

I have a stack of bamboo cutting boards that I bought last December on sale with the hopes that I’d be able to do Christmas presents for the family last year. Now I have two years of presents to make.

5 Likes

Here’s hoping you don’t end up with 3 years of presents to make.

3 Likes