45 days to go

As a Pro model purchaser, I’m more than a little concerned (as I’ve said before) that we have not seen or heard a single bit of information relating to the Pro units. Not even a peep or hint if it is at the same “stage” of readiness as the Basic. So maybe it would be easier to see all Basic’s from the original 10,000 crowdfunding units shipping by year end 2016 than all units? I have a hard time seeing how total silence on the progress of the Pro units can be seen a positive signal. Ya, ya, I know. It’s the glass half empty guy. . .

10 Likes

@rpegg Your analogy falls a little bit off the mark. With the Jack-In-The-Box the faster you turn the crank the faster the song goes (and thereby the inevitable horrible horrible stupid little clown thing!).

A more apt analogy would be a stoplight that’s on red. No matter how much you inch forward and inch forward, the red light will turn green when it was programmed to. But I guess you can feel like you are forcing progress by inching and inching…

Or maybe an elevator. The more you push the button the faster the elevator gets to your level, right?

6 Likes

We still appreciate someone willing to say what others are worried about. I’ll try to put a little good light on the Pro. I want to say that I’ve seen Dan say that the Pro units currently are functioning exactly like the Basic units, just with better hardware.

From that reasoning, Anything stated with Basic also applies to Pro. The major difference that you are referring to (absolutely correctly btw) is that the software has not been demonstrated. I believe Dan has also said that the Pro software is not ready and will be delivered after the units are delivered. So while the passthrough works (essentially as you keep pushing in the piece the laser just sees more material to laser), the registration might not.

6 Likes

I’ve totally missed a post from Dan saying the stage of readiness of the hardware aspect of the Pro was at exactly the same as the Basic. Easy enough statement for him to make though and there are tons of posts I don’t follow so I’m not surprised I missed that one.

3 Likes

Or like the crosswalk button, people repeatedly to push it as if it’s going to shorten the timed cycle.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m a Pro buyer as well. However, there’s nothing about the Pro that impacts my day-to-day use of it. The pass-thru is the only operational thing - improved optics, power, cooling, warranty, etc are not going to change what I can use it for and with the 1/4" pass-thru limitation the lack of software support for pass-thru alignment doesn’t impact me.

The filter delay Dan mentioned is more of an issue as my GF’s home doesn’t have exterior venting capability.

10 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know how to search for that conversation to 100% verify it for you, but I’ve read nearly every post (new ones pop up every once in awhile that I haven’t seen before, so I can’t ever know if I’ve read them all), and just going from my memory, I thought that @dan had mentioned somewhere that the Hardware aspect of Pro is just as complete as the Basic, but from a software side of things, it only has the same capabilities as the Basic.

When the registration part of the Pro is completed it will be incorporated into the Pro Software Build. I don’t believe that it will be available in the Basic, even though there are some use cases where it might be useful (long paper,fabric,leather,other foldable materials placed in the GF and unrolled/folded to laser on a longer design). I’ll let @dan or another staff member confirm.

5 Likes

Yep. That works. My analogy depends on the sticky release. My toddler son could turn that crank all day long and be pleasantly surprised when the clown pops. After he learned the tune, if the clown didn’t pop out on that last note he would sometimes get frustrated and throw the box across the room. Parsing the delivery statement to death ain’t gonna make you happy.

9 Likes

As a traffic engineer that knows just one push sends the call to the controller and additional button pushes do absolutely nothing… this annoys me every time I see someone doing it!

I will sometimes push the audible buttons more than once because I like to make things beep! :wink:

13 Likes

The 8-year-old loves to hear “Wait… Wait… Wait… Wait…” as he pushes the button for our town’s crosswalk. (OK, there’s more than one within the city limits, but only one “downtown”.)

6 Likes

I think that was a paraphrase of the following which does indicate that if there are problems, there will be a delay. One possible problem that gets a fair amount of conjecture here is that their manufacturer can’t get their run rate up to hundreds per day.

1 Like

Well said! :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

I’m not 8, but I also love to hear the “Wait…Wait…Wait…”. My wife usually stops me after a few pushes.

5 Likes

I could have sworn if you pushed the button 42 times, the light changes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

42 is always the magic number!

7 Likes

What, you don’t program them to add 30s wait time for each push after the 1st? :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

That would be mean!

4 Likes

second push of the button should say “cross request canceled”

8 Likes

The big thing on the Pro that needs tested before shipment is the peltier cooling system.

If there is some issue in how those are wired, or where they are positioned, that cannot be fixed in software.

The other difference Pro to Basic are negligible on the hardware side. So I would love to hear about the cooling system at the least sometime.

8 Likes

I would REALLY like some update on when (if at all) we will be receiving them in December. I’d love to be able to make Christmas presents using my Glowforge, but we still have nothing to suggest when/if in December we will be getting them.

1 Like