50$ a month for premium?

You can easily store your files on your own computer. Glowforge is not extorting its users in any way, but I am pretty sure nothing said on the forum will dissuade you from your opinion. I hope you enjoy your machine while waiting to sell it, and that you find a product that aligns with your opinion of how companies should behave.

6 Likes

sourgrapes

1 Like

Which part is extortion?

The storage? You can export your designs and save them on your own hardware now.

The design tools? Before, everyone had to design in their own software and still can, and most still do.

The clip-art? All available on the internet, they simply pay the fees and made them easier to access.

The fonts? Available in the design software of your choice.

Did I miss a feature that you are required to use your laser? Glowforge has done an amazing job at trying to make something that is really complicated easy for users. Some of these ease-of-use features cost. If you don’t want to pay for them, then don’t. Most do not pay to use them; why do you feel like you need to have them? (If you don’t need them it is not extortion.)

8 Likes

Because buyers Paid for these features as marketed on Every advertisement and solicitation. Its not till Post purchase that you are pushed to the Premium offering. Can you show me on the website Pre-Purchase where it notes Premium displayed options will cost $50 per month? Can you show me where is says what is shown will be removed If you do not sign up for a monthly draw? Even the Post sale emails don’t note the price. Buyers shouldn’t have to be forum hunters to find out the True cost of ownership. That is Not an honest business practice. Doesn’t matter what I use or not. It was advertised and should be included in the investment. Or simply Sold as an option and done. The whole “it costs money to develop features” is a weak position. To further grow the market interest they should be Expected to continuously improve the technology. You can be fine with add on revenue payments but I am not and I am certain Many agree. Its a great product, simply a poor management/business model.

2 Likes

So I guess you never have paid for an added feature (upgrade) after you purchased anything.

Oh well,Mouse Cheese

1 Like

The Glowforge operates as advertised without any of the Premium features. You can happily carry on and never pay another penny to Glowforge. However, you are angry and you have a right to your opinion. As I said, facts will not change your opinion.

6 Likes

I absolutely have. If value added to my needs I would always purchase. I have not been asked to RENT features with product purchase though. Certainly not After purchase? Since the strong company creative emoji backers are in full force can you use that energy to Show me on the Glowforge website ANY dialog about Premium or Price? ANYWHERE! Most users are not forum dwellers with cute come backs. Some simply want to purchase a quality product without Hidden agendas.

So you haven’t purchased a new car with a trial period for Sirius XM Radio. Then maybe after the trial you decided to get and now you pay monthly… Or, even used a trial period for software, then after either decided to buy or not… I could keep going…

2 Likes

I make it a point not to defend the business practices as others sometimes do. Quite honestly it’s not my job. On the other hand I’m a stickler for facts.

If folks want to complain that the machines and S/W don’t live up to their expectations then that’s fair. But seems to me some are complaining about newly released features that they want at no cost, not something that has changed. I don’t like the Premium charges but can’t for the life of me think that all of a sudden I’ve been charged for something that was promised as free.
Don’t remember a GF advertisement that highlights features only available to Premium purchasers. Maybe something has changed? Past advertisements didn’t include Premium features because they didn’t exist.

9 Likes

False again.

5 Likes

Show me on the Glowforge website ANY dialog about Premium or Price? ANYWHERE!

1 Like

Show us anything in an ad or commercial that isn’t true.

6 Likes

I think that’s our point. Unless you have a machine in your hands after purchase how would you even know the Premium capabilities exist? An owner isn’t being asked to pay extra for anything that has been promised or advertised.

4 Likes

Premium is so new that it isn’t even in any of the marketing. All the marketing I have seen doesn’t include any premium features.

Has anyone seen any marketing with premium features yet?

4 Likes

Nope, just went through the entire web site, nothing about Premium Features.

3 Likes

As its the New business model don’t you think it would be fair (honest) that this would be published on the site for new buyers to decide? I respect the team spirit protecting this company granted I never said anything was Wrong with the company. My opinion which trust me most share is that IF the Key element of this product has improvements via the locked software online those improvements should be accessible to anyone that investing in the product. Not to hard to understand really. If they want to sell components simply Sell them. I didn’t purchase a product to fund the growth and improvement of their finances. I made that investment. My bet is those aggressively protecting the company from any criticism have a vested interest or are not effected by these for rent changes. (Legacy) Trust that these simple no big changes Will continue to expand and your support opinion will change in time.

1 Like

All my ads on YouTube seem to be glowforge related. So far, I’ve never seen a premium feature used in any of their advertising. I’ve seen several of glowforge users showing how they created a business cutting their own designs, I’ve seen others with the original advertising showing food stuff. Nothing showing anything using premium features.

Just to note, we don’t have cable TV, but my family watches YouTube every day on our smart TV, so I see glowforge ads all the time, I think it’s our only ad based on my Google search history. :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

The GF was only ever billed as a laser cutter with online software that would function as a printer driver.

Anything extra is just that, extra. Pay for it or not. Have it or not. It’s really that simple.

6 Likes

First, I think your comment

is way off, I don’t see most agreeing with you.

Second, explain to us what the locked software is, and

Finally, sorry to say but any product you purchase goes toward funding the growth and improvement of the finances for any company.

I have no vested interest in this company other than I purchased one of their printers and yes, I pay for the premium features cause I want to, my choice.

I have seen the TV commercials for Glowforge and no mention of the premium features, but then again I see all these commercials for Ford, Chevy, etc and not one mention of premium features available on their models such satellite radio, Wi-FI in your car which is an additional cost

6 Likes

Agree, one other thing, or sell it…

1 Like