50$ a month for premium?

Yes, Fairy Tail. I love it, though I still haven’t finished watching the newest episodes they released, mostly because there was such a large gap between seasons that I simply forgot about it. I’m a huge One Piece fan, so usually it’s the only one I really keep up with.

My son wanted to be Natsu for Halloween when he was 5, I made the entire “after 7 years” outfit for him, sprayed his hair pink, and drew the guild mark on his arm. He was adorable.

He cried when he lost the library Halloween competition to someone dressed as a hotdog, but he had a bunch of middle school and highschool girls come up to take selfies with him while they held up the Manga.

I think the following year I made him a Luffy costume.

3 Likes

I’m marking five years participating daily on this forum. I understand people might have different perspectives, especially those who recently got their first machine and are used to the trial Premium features. It would be at least annoying, but more likely cause for concern and suspicions.

I’ve learned a great deal about technology businesses, mostly that it is more complicated than I ever imagined. During the long wait till the production machines came out, we really did just focus on the hardware capabilities. When the pre-releases went out, we were able to discuss the software side of things a little better and it was pretty clear how minimal the control/GFUI software was but there was minimal discussion about the motion control that was largely opaque. Give it a good design and it worked very well. I remember when @dan sent us all a copy of his book, The Hot Seat. It was a wonderful gesture, but it was also an invitation for us all to understand the economics of tech companies.

There were some issues with over burning when corning with very light scores. 3D depth map engraving was there, but gradually improved. The engraving options for rasters improved over time. In the end, compared to other issues, the motion control was not as big a problem.

That is, except the alignment to the lid camera preview. They have been improving it immensely, but it rears its ugly head frequently enough. Another motional control issue is the addressable bed size, along with speeds of raster engraves. All this to say, the company has been steadily making good on the promised specs from their initial advertising, but there are things like pass through alignment that aren’t quite there yet. Folks have been focused on the GFUI changes and improvements, but forget that the greater part of the software is the motion control. And they have from day one said that motion control is cloud based. That’s the technology this whole system operates on. You may disagree with this choice, but if you buy a machine, you have got to understand that this is as significant as the difference between electric grid based trains and diesel-electric trains. The economics determine the choice, but both are valid strategies. I don’t see the utility at all for throwing in a comment to the discussion that Glowforge should have a local app. Cloud computing is the core technology at play here. It’s going to make or break the company.

All of these and others, are part of the software ecosystem. There has been a consistent call for adding features to the GFUI. Some things like the set focus were game changers. Not really necessary from a fulfilled promise perspective since anything within 1/4" was still within specs. But they kept working on it and made incremental improvements. I expect they will continue to improve and add more functionality to the basic GFUI, even as they build out more Premium Features.

And to the point: when they announce Proofgrade, I understood much better that you have to keep finding ways to add value to the hardware proposition. A tech company that sells to the general public has to find ways to generate consistent revenue in addition to selling the basic machines. Will they get to a point where subscription revenue is greater than revenue from machine sales? Great question. But from my understanding, a company just has to keep figuring this out.

It doesn’t mean it has to go back on its initial promises nor neglect its core business. It could happen, especially when the time comes for Glowforge to sell.

I’m fascinated at the many times on this forum folks don’t clearly differentiate between personal expectations/fears and what actually is the case.

@leahgee2, I appreciate your post. It is your concern that in moving to a services model, they might neglect their existing base. You state that clearly and it makes all the difference in keeping a discussion reasonable. You don’t speculate or attribute nefarious motivation where there is no clear evidence. Thanks a lot.

My experience with reserving a Glowforge in the pre-order campaign, waiting for its delivery, and final enjoyment of its use has been an overall positive experience. Glowforge a real human endeavor with real people in charge who are making real human decisions. I have no idea about other companies because I don’t follow any as much as I do Glowforge. We aren’t privy to the board meetings, but we do get a glimpse into their people who work there, especially the CEO. The have given lots of evidence that they pay attention to customers and want to make the experience amazing.

I don’t need the Premium stuff. I got along fine without it, as have lots of other folks. I don’t see them throttling down the services they have offered up to this time. Nothing I have experienced with this company gives me a worry there.

I don’t understand the marketing tactics of offering a product for $50 and then discounting it. I guess it is part of the thing. A recent shopping experience at Kohl’s enlightened me. I just don’t buy enough stuff to understanding discounting strategies. I am not surprised they are offering a premium service for design tools. Totally not necessary because you can do all this stuff in a free design program. But then, people pay for something they don’t have to do themselves. I’m still trying to understand the metrics of super computers for processing designs, but I rarely do large, complicated engraves and again, having had an early pre-release, I really just expect the minimal here.

What I am more concerned with is the consistent trickle of folks who discuss the lags with support communication. Heck, the opaque procedure between order and delivery still baffles me. In the end, they seem to make it right and my Glowforge works great. Would buy another Basic if this one goes bad. Can’t imagine not having a laser at this point in my career.

So, that was a long post and didn’t give anything new. Just another voice to dampen the resonance that comes from the shrieks of outrage.

13 Likes

agree

You are the first post I actually liked. A lot of good points. This pay $16.16 a month when I barely use my glowforge due to changing priorities in life and all these reasons why I should buy it now to save money in the long term for something I may or may not use later leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

My glowforge was 2 years late and rather than wait around for ideas to make a business I got into the import/export business and was able to go from relying on help to being the one that now donates to others now.

I love the staff and the people that work at glowforge and I almost ok with subscribing to this premium service just to keep them fed and happy as talked with my wife and other people that ended up buying other competitor lasers (all extremely happy also) how glowforge’s model of service doesn’t make any sense and will eventually fail… The $14.99+ tax service should just be grandfathered in whether we subscribe today or subscribe next year. It’s better not to threaten people with FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) when they were behind your company since the start.

These changes basically turned a good portion of their cheerleader customers into angry people that feel cheated whether or not we can talk or explain reason to them is generally bad for PR.

Offer the discounted price, let people decide when they want to use it or not…

7 Likes

I’m not going to jump on the GF bandwagon as some here obviously had. I have had my business for over 42 years and have embraced new tech to help it along. I purchased the GF for usability. Since I use a Lot of other equipment wanted a basic and good model. The GF fills that. I create my own designs and have used a Lot of different software editors. But to be frank GF is not that great for the price they are asking. But first most companies will give you the option to flip back to an earlier version of software for comparison. That way one can compare before one buys. Then if you like a one time cost to upgrade. Or a subscription if wish. But since I purchased my GF while in trial I asked for and was denied the chance to use their earlier version. So stuck with the decision on a one time offer I might regret not taking? Will it work as I want it to still? Just told the differences not the same as using it.

So my take is nice of them to do the Legacy at reduced price. But still Way too high unless you are in a Business to write it off. The people who will Need to use the Premium because can’t understand vector software and the Premium basically created for them will balk at the $50. Unless they already have money to burn on their hobbies. Even Adobe , whose subscriptions are high, understand this. And their software makes GF look lame . I understand GF software for focusing and such is pretty incredible. But the consumer design software is fairly basic and lacking in several essentials. My take is $5 a month for early Legacy and $10 for non. Most pockets can take that kind of hit. As a person who not only has their own business but helped others start theirs… my advice was always start low and then raise . The ones that started high quickly failed. GF needs new users and that $50 a month may break the decision whether to buy their machine or go somewhere else.

4 Likes

Yeah, sussudio, I could see it if this software had all the features of Illustrator, which only costs $20 a month, and is such a powerful program. You can find free svg files online but they want you to pay for ones that honestly are pretty bland. Heck, inkscape is free.

…and more capable.

They’re definitely focused on the people who (pretty frequently) come on here begging for help creating the most basic shapes. They don’t want to learn how to design, they want it all plug and play. No one who knows how to design is going to be fired up by things found in the noun project - inspired maybe - but not impressed.

4 Likes

people bashed me when I told them GF was slowing machines down to monetize their software and squeeze more out of us.

1 Like

Because you were wrong.

11 Likes

If someone corrected you, excellent, because you aren’t right.

If they “bashed” you that was uncalled for and not something we tend to do around here…do you have a link to it?

1 Like

how does a machine operate faster if you sign up for a costly monthly plan vs if you don’t

The Premium users are routed through different Google servers. (More powerful, higher speed processing.)

Doesn’t impact the other users.

Got that link?

1 Like

The machines still all operate at the same speed. The only difference is the few seconds (depending on the complexity of your design) it takes to create the instructions and send them to the machine. Once you press the glowing button they are still the same speed (subscription or not). The only different is how fast you get to the glowing button.

4 Likes

GF advertisement literally says “You are a premium member and on faster servers”

Yep, that is exactly what I said. Your machine is not a server. The only thing the servers do is process the instructions that are sent to your machine. Your machine then does the work at its own (non-variable) speed.

That time is between when you press “Print” on the web console and when you can press the “Glowing Button” your Glowforge machine.

5 Likes

lol! yes… I understand that spooling of work does not occur within a GF unit, it occurs via CloudBase servers.

If you pay more money your work spools at Server A (faster) /
If you don’t pay more money your work spools at Server B (slower)

How long did this take for you before the beta?

Did you even notice when the beta started?

Maybe you do a lot of really complicated designs that require a lot of processing time?

I have never noticed this taking a long time (30 seconds at most before the beta) so I am not concerned about a few seconds longers than the 5 seconds I timed on my last cut.

So why is everyone up in arms about a few seconds? If you are running a business and cutting constantly, maybe the time really makes a difference. Maybe that is who these servers are targeted for? That is not me.

5 Likes

if car A and car B are both driving 50mpg. if car A speeds up to 75mph, is car B now going slower than it was before?

it’s a matter of perspective. you don’t lose anything if someone else gains it by paying extra. you still have exactly what you had before, not less.

11 Likes

that’s not how monetizing of server traffic works