50mm Paint Corners

This morning I realized that I needed some paint corners, Not wanting to wait a couple of hours for 3D printed stands, I used my glowforge and some scrap 3mm (1/8") plywood. Entire project from need to design (5 min in AI) to a dozen stands took less than 30 minutes.

50mm paint stands
Remember – 3 points are inherently stable, 4 are almost guaranteed to wobble. :wink:

Here’s the file in case anyone else might find it useful.
50mm paint corners 3
Press fit a short piece into a tall one on a flat surface until the bottoms are even
(the slots are sized to leave a gap for tolerances/fit).

Edited: Slots are 3.0 mm, scale up or down to fit your material.

71 Likes

Thank you for this practical file.

10 Likes

These will be handy! Thank you!

8 Likes

Very practical…

… but I have no idea what it’s practical for. Googling “paint corners” only leads to millions of “how to paint corners” results.

9 Likes

You lay a painted/finished item on top of them. That way the points of contact are really small.

19 Likes

Perfect timing, I was just thinking last night I needed to get some made. Thank for the share and time saved.

10 Likes

Probably dozens of regional names, but they hold painted / stained parts off of surfaces…

I’m making a quilt stand for my wife. All the non-dowel pieces were cut from 3/4” Baltic birch using my Shaper Origin.

19 Likes

Great practical cut. I need some of these as well! Thanks for the share!

9 Likes

Thank you! This will come in handy.

7 Likes

Thank You, real nice

7 Likes

Omg, I printing and using these today!
Thank you so much!!!

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing this helpful design :smiley:

7 Likes

I made little tetrahedrons a while back:

Would be pretty easy to scale these down, but the design in this thread is nice and simple and will support more weight than the caltrops can.

9 Likes

Always found the square head roofing nails prop things nicely.

However, good use for a lot of the scrap laying around and less of a concern about keeping track of how many loose square head roofing nails are in the room.
They would make a good ninja like escape plan. Toss a dozen or so behind you and a lot of them will be pointing up when done bouncing.

12 Likes

Practical and will work better than the ones off Amazon for sure! Thanks for the share

6 Likes

I just bought some a few weeks ago. It didn’t occur to me to make some on the Glowforge, but this is a great design, and next time I’m likely to use this rather than go buy more plastic pyramid ones.

9 Likes

Nice, thank you!

5 Likes

Brilliant! I love functional stuff like this. Thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

These might come in handy very soon! Thank you!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing! This is a very practical file / project that I can put to use in my shop.

4 Likes