5mm underlayment laser safe? (edited for typo)

Thank you for these settings!!

Can I ask what your settings are for cut/score/engrave? I’m looking into doing some backgrounds on some projects with this.

The person you addressed that question to has not been on the forum for almost three years.

In general, big-box-store underlayment is the lowest quality plywood you can get. It’s horrible to work with. It’s in no way designed for laser cutting, and contains some very inconsistent filler between the mediocre veneer surfaces.

It’s designed for laying over construction-grade particle board flooring, to give a relatively smooth surface for laying down tile and such.

I have used a fair amount, but I would not recommend it to anyone for use on a laser. Once I determined how bad it was, I used it mostly for prototypes or projects where appearance was not going to be an issue.

There is mention above of Revolution Plywood that I have purchased from Lowes. They mention it as Lauan but it is not as I also purchased some Lauan plywood at that time. Those two are decent though the Revolution comes in 4’x8’ sheets and Lauan did not. They both are quite different on each side and the outer ply is impossibly thin but they can make decent stuff.

This is made of Revolution ply…

1 Like