6.5 lbs of Acrylic - Lake Superior Map (follow up to Lake Erie Map)

Love the different blues, Nice work!

3 Likes

Itā€™s just beautiful with the three shades of blue!

3 Likes

This is by far the best Iā€™ve seen. So do you use a full piece of acrylic for each layer, cutting out the different shapes you want within the lake? Amazing.

2 Likes

Yup! A full piece of acrylic for each layer! Gotta use a full sheet in order to hold it all together. Hereā€™s a side view of a previous map, no glue is used (except on the islands of Lake Superior) :

7 Likes

I was just going to ask that question, is it a full sheet? cannot really tell from the picture are you putting a space between the layers?

seems like a massive consumption of acrylic. I would be tempted to make the layers a 1"band around the dimension and then use something else. surrounding it with a polygon. OTOH, that might simply be more work, and not worth it. I suppose it comes down to selling price ratio to materials/time/labor cost. :slight_smile:

Looks AWESOME

4 Likes

A plastic washer between each layer for more dimension.

Yes, it is an acrylic eater with each layer being a full layer but I worry about the integrity/longevity of the structure trying to hodpodging each layer together.

And in truth- from my acrylic source - each layer of acrylic was cheaper than each layer of maple. SooošŸ¤·

Plus: that visual from the side!

6 Likes

What are the dimensions. And I agree about the integrity.

1 Like

18.5" x 10.5" x just shy of 2" so as big as glowforge plus would go!

1 Like

Wow ~ cool to see your progression in talent, between the two versions. Awesome!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Nice rendition of gichi-gami !!

5 Likes

You calling it gitchi-gami reminds me of one of the very first Glowforge projects I didā€¦ I had forgotten about this oneā€¦

8 Likes

The 3 different colors of acrylic turned out great. Nice gradient.

5 Likes

That makes total sense.

as to the edge, Iā€™d have just put a wood border around the edge.

iā€™d be worried it would fall off the dang wall.

1 Like

I tell people itā€™s a table/shelf piece :slight_smile: itā€™s thick enough that it stands on itā€™s own.

1 Like

Thatā€™s so awesome! Iā€™ve been wanting to do one for Grand Lake here in Colorado but I keep having trouble editing down files. I just need more time I think!

1 Like

This is lovely! Iā€™ve been making a lot of lake maps myself! Great work!

Do you have any issues with alignment on edges? Are you gluing these pieces together along with the bookbinding hardware?

Here is one I did recently

8 Likes

This is fantastic. I have wanted to make one of Table Rock Lake here in Missouri but havenā€™t found a good map file yet.

3 Likes

The only glue used was for the islands!

As for the lining up - thatā€™s all done during file set up. Since I work in Layers in Illustrator, when I need to save a layer for the Glowforge, I just turn off the other layers. So the Chicago Screws layer? yeah that layer never got turned off so they are in the exact same place on every single file - so they thats my lining up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Does Missouri provide public data for lakes?
Looks like they have a data portal available

2 Likes