6000 children's books

All digitized and free, from the University of Florida’s Baldwin Library of Historical Children’s Literature
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/baldwin/all/thumbs

28 Likes

Bookmarked!

3 Likes

Ditto!

3 Likes

Quick trip down a rabbit hole there…trying to find Strewelpeter. Found something close…not the same one that traumatized me as a child.

7 Likes

Could be worse. “I’ll Love You Forever” traumatized me as an adult.

3 Likes

Was it the matches story that got you?

1 Like

Shel Silverstein’s “The Giving Tree” got me. (As an adult.) :confounded:

No, it was the actual Strewelpeter poem…“there he stands…with his nasty hair and hands…”
Soon to be followed by a vist from “the great long-legged scissor man…snip, snip, snip…”

Shudder! :confounded:

3 Likes

Well, my wife and kids loved that story. Freaked me the heck out. Mom is like the worst kind of stalker in a story that is supposed to be all sweet love.

1 Like

I haven’t read that one yet, but it sounds like something I wouldn’t care for either. :astonished:

Supposed to be cut heartwarming thing. All beautiful and stuff.

“I love you forever. I like you for always. As long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.”

But very stalkerish throughout the book.

1 Like

According to some family friends, the only thing worse than seeing Struwwelpeter standing there gushing blood is having a copy of the book from which those pages have been excised, and having to imagine what happened. :imp:

But I bet you learned to eat your soup…

1 Like

Yup! :flushed:

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Der Struwwelpeter, by Heinrich Hoffmann (German)
Project Gutenberg eBook of Struwwelpeter, Merry Stories and Funny Pictures, by Heinrich Hoffman (English)

“…for children of 3 - 6 years of age…” Yikes!

2 Likes

Oh yikes! Yes, that’s the one! Illustrated version. Read at age four or five…stayed with me for a lifetime.

(Thanks ever so much Dennis…I’m going to go read it now…and won’t sleep tonight!) :wink:

4 Likes

Happy to help rekindle those treasured childhood memories.

At least it doesn’t have a story about little girls that won’t go to sleep… :wink:

5 Likes