7' Tall Scythe for custom Grim Reaper Costume

This is my largest project to date using my Glowforge and finally got to use my passthrough slot. Similar to my other projects, this time we had a customer that wanted a full grim reaper costume with a scythe, armor, belt, etc. In this post I will just show the scythe. The part made using the Glowforge is the blade core which was cut using the passthrough slot. The outer portion of the blade is EVA with a custom designed pattern that was painted and distressed. The blade itself is ~36" long and the staff portion is roughly 7’.

41 Likes

Well, that’s excessively neat! Gonna be one heck of a costume! :smile:

4 Likes

Haha, yea I will post up pics of the finished costume.

3 Likes

Wow! Can’t wait to see the costume!

4 Likes

Gives me the chills!

4 Likes

Excellent result. Suitable for a movie prop.

4 Likes

Beautiful! This year some glow-in-dark covid shaped balls hanging in the net would make it extra scary.

2 Likes

Oh we have lots of glow in the dark stuff. Guess I should post some of the other props!

1 Like

Hard to get a good photo but…

2 Likes

Cool, what is that? Hard to tell from the pic

That whitish glow plastic that comes in all sorts of decorative shapes that those 8 were in a pack for five cents just after Halloween. What I found weird was they were covid shaped before folks knew what covid shapes were. They are about an inch in diameter.

1 Like

Haha that was my first thought was Covid virus

2 Likes

A grim reaper in the form of covid virus is the perfect halloween outfit. And the scariest out there.

2 Likes

This is true haha

1 Like

WOW! The detail and distressing is really impressive! This looks like a serious investment of effort. For fun, please compare this against my grim reaper blade from last year made out of styrofoam and aluminum foil. Yours seems (ahem) a bit better :slight_smile: I’m super interested to see your costume!

5 Likes

10 years ago, we moved to an antique farmhouse that had a barn-full of antique tools, including some nice old rusty scythes. I took one of them, along with a Snuggie as my hooded robe, and chaperoned the trick-or-treating kids, who were 7, 5, and 2 at the time.

But we had just moved in mid-October, so we didn’t have any ideas of where to go trick-or-treating in our new town. Not knowing many people in town yet, we drove back to our previous neighborhood, in a different town, where there aren’t many antique barns full of antique tools! Let’s just say that a lot of parents don’t want their kids anywhere near you if you are carrying a real (old, rusty) scythe. I’d say that a Glowforge made one is probably a better bet!

3 Likes

Hey great job either way! You find out real quick that it’s a ton of work regardless of what route you go. We make custom costumes for haunts around the world, huge theme parks like Six Flags, and also for movies. Check out darkcreationsatx.com

One of things I forgot to mention is that the blade detaches from the staff portion. Similar to how you break down a pool cue stick. This is purposeful for shipping. As you can imagine, the amount it costs to ship something like this is not cheap. That’s something I introduced for a few of our larger props.

1 Like

Haha the real deal is definitely menacing but does pose a number of obvious issues. We spend a lot of time coming up making the most realistic props and costumes but in more of a cosplay sense. Obviously, carrying a real one for any significant period of time is also quite taxing.

I will do another post with a complete write up on what all was created for the costume. There is a LOT more. Cost the customer a little over $2500 for everything including shipping. The costume itself was hand sewn to size by our head seamstress.

1 Like

Clearly an amazing and awesome scythe. Possessing it, even I perpetual serial killer for Halloween (I don’t dress up - because a serial killer can look like anybody) would dress up. My question, is why does the grim reaper need armor? I’m not familiar with the legend beyond movies and cartoons, but it would seem the grim reaper doesn’t need any defensive protection.

2 Likes

see I did it the easy way. just snatched the Scythe from my grandparent’s house after my Grandmother passed away and we had to clear the house out.

2 Likes