A bad misalignment issue

These red line (rectangles) cuts as you can see are in very different locations than where I told them to be.

This is a screen shot I took immediately after the cut.

I tried power cycling it and it did not help. Nothing is blocking the head.

How can I fix this?

Another example of the same problem. As you can see I cannot rely on my cuts anymore.

If you search for alignment on the forum, you’ll find lots of posts about it, including many with the standard reply from support telling you what to check. Here’s one: Another Glowforge With Alignment Issues

As far as I’m concerned, the salient points to keep in mind are that tiny changes in material height make a huge difference in alignment, so make sure you’re measuring accurately, it’s not warped, etc. The further you are from the center of the bed, the worse it’s going to be, so if possible try to center things under the camera. And last but most, camera alignment is never going to be perfect on these machines. If it’s less than 1/4" off, it’s within specifications. If it’s more than that and you can prove it with Proofgrade and the Gift of Good Measure, maaaaaybe you’ll get your Glowforge replaced. But realistically, get used to making jigs for anything that requires precision.

4 Likes

Quoted for truth!

@LazerMaster, you will probably have to live with working around the issue. There are a lot of ways to do it. You can put tape or copy paper on top of your object and run a super low power outline to make sure things land in the right place, for one.

Your camera is most accurate in the center of the bed, so if you are trying to place a small item on a busy piece of scrap, put it right under the camera and make sure you entered the height correctly. You’re much more likely to see what you get that way, than if you work out at the edges of the bed.

2 Likes

One thing to check is the thickness you’ve added into the material if it’s not Proofgrade once it changes the distance a bit viewing from the camera.
Also, sometimes, it’s “easy” to select Thick instead of Medium and it will change the view as well…

1 Like

Everything @chris1 said.

But a couple of specifics… What material is that? Doesn’t look like :proofgrade:. As mentioned, the height is critical… at least to the hundredth of an inch. You must use calipers. Also, your screenshots don’t include the rulers so we have no way to judge how far off you are. Also as mentioned, <.25" variance is within tolerance at this time.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for all the RTFMs! :slight_smile:

I fixed it. It was material height issue and alignment of the bottom tray (although not sure how that affects it, and would like more information)

1 Like

The S/W takes an image from the overhead fisheye camera and trys to make it look rectangular. Then it overlays the design. If the image dewarping is not given the EXACT height above the material the algorithm performs poorly and you get an offset. The head location is always perfectly understood. So head is perfect but you are moving the design based on faulty image info.

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!