A Black Lotus

This is my first REAL project on the image

I mad it for a friends Coffee shop that is of the same name, in a building called the Lotus building. It was a fun little project to push my comfort zone. I made it 1/4 size of the pattern I used, and it fit great on 3 5x10 PG Black acrylic sheets. Gluing it was easier than I planned, I didn’t need clamps. But I’ll use cement next time instead of super glue. Now, I’m off to dremmel sand the side just a touch to get the glue off.

36 Likes

Congrats! Very ambitious and I’m sure they’ll love it!!

For layering acrylic, you my want to try welding it (yes, it’s really like a weld than a glue process)–after lots of googling, found there’s a liquid “weld” #4 that is what is used my most pros for adhering acrylic to acrylic, and I’ve been working with it lately on some projects–takes a little practice with clear to get it perfect, but it doesn’t take much of it at all to create an good bond. #4 is watery thin, and there is a thicker version, which might be easier to use where clarity is not a factor.

But rubber cement works OK too if you’re not worried about optical clarity. Super glue (cyanoacrylate, or CA) can cause cracks in the acrylic, and should not be used.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Lovely.

3 Likes

You did a beautiful job on this layered piece! Looking forward to your next project.

2 Likes

Nice layering of acrylic. I have been using Weldon Scigrip #3 with good results.

2 Likes

Really nice! Such great work on layering!

2 Likes

Beautiful turn out.