A Cat On A Shelf

Use the Laser joint Featurescript. I’ll share an example document with you so you can see how it works.

5 Likes

Great project! Thanks for sharing your design–we’ve got some test cats that might want to try it.

1 Like

Ha. That falls into the mantra I used when I taught grade school tech: if you can think of an automatic, faster way to do something, chances are someone else has too and written a feature to solve that problem. Usually it was about basic things like the tab key and tab stops rather than just pressing the space bar. Thanks.

2 Likes

It looks wonderful, you could have just done the project but the way it is decorated gives it a special touch.:smile_cat: the cats will love it.

2 Likes

Isn’t that great? Get the design just right, and it’s easy to make a bunch of them later on. s w e e t

Thanks for writing up this great design! :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Tutorial is now up:

8 Likes

Note that the tutorial location is not yet accessible to everyone–it is currently being organized and will open up once that work is done.

I realize that, but by the time they open up, I’ll forget to come back and put it in the thread since it relates to it.

Fit testing, fits perfectly. Also got dimensions for the steps up to it which have to go behind the doors.

13 Likes

Cute design. I’m sure the cats will love them.

1 Like

Sturdy enough? Some can get a little hefty and add in the forces from jumping from one to another can be a lot of load.

But it’ll land on its feet.:pouting_cat::footprints:

It’s plenty strong, but we were talking that we should engrave a sign next to each shelf with “If your cat is too heavy for this shelf, please speak with your veterinarian about our weight loss programs”

16 Likes

What a splendid wall upgrade!

These are neat! Time to get out the big ol wall anchors! Keep us posted on their durability, could be interesting.

Have you met the internet? Everyone wants it. haha

If the screw locations are spaced for wall studs, no need for the drywall hangers. Of course limits the locations a bit, but on the other hand not sure if I would trust drywall only hangers with cats jumping on and off…

depends on the hangers. I was going to use 50lb anchors. That should take care of any cat up through a Lynx (the north american, not the eurasian of course)

3 Likes

True. I always have a bucket of 75lb+ anchors around. Overkill usually, but I don’t like to do things twice. I also don’t like being regulated to stud only locations.
I make a pilot hole. If I hit a stud, yay! If not, big ol’ drywall anchor!

3 Likes

i love my neodiyummyyum magnetic stud-finder.

7 Likes