When I first got some of the oiled leather to work with I wanted to do some smaller testing with it before doing anything large. The first thing I did was get some small holes cut out of it so I’d know what power setting to use. I started with the heavy vegtan settings from the proofgrade library and just kept adjusting speed/power until I was getting clean cuts. My keys are always worrying holes in my pocket, so after dialing in my settings I made a little key cover.
it wraps the keys up and insulate them so they don’t rub my pocket.
Having gotten a simple project under my belt, I decided to work on something more ambitious. I’d gotten a new phone and wanted to make a nice cover for it. I took some basic measurements and got a basic layout in Illustrator for what I wanted. I didn’t trust my first draft though so decided to use some EVA foam to model it out. The craft foam is similar thickness and I can just staple it together instead of sewing it which sounded like a good draft medium to me. It worked out pretty well actually.
The fit was pretty good on the first try, so I guess I got the external measurements and guestimates of how much space to leave for seams about right.
I had a few changes to make. Adjusting holes in various directions to line up better mostly. Then it was time to try it in leather.
I should have just cut the sewing holes with the laser. I know that works well, but I was feeling lazy and wanted to use the sewing machine instead. I’m not very good at sewing it seems
It fits pretty much the way I’d hoped. The edges around the display pop up a bit, but as I’ve been keeping it in my pocket it seems to be wearing in better and staying more flat. I’m tempted to wet it a bit and maybe rubber band it closed to see if it forms to the phone better.
Instead of sewing the top layer to the bottom, I could put a side in as well which might make it fit better overall. I might cut a notch out of the pocket as well to make retrieving cards out if it easier. Pretty happy with it for now though.