A few 3D trees

three 3D trees.zip (5.8 KB)

I’ve been having a lot of fun making designs for my blog lately, one of which has been trees of various sizes. Just wanted to share a few here in case they are helpful to anyone!

These are made for 1/4" plywood so they may need to be slightly adjusted if you are using a different material. Also, the slots are a little generous to allow for sealant and paint, so if you need a tighter fit, you will need to adjust them slightly.

BTW, is there an official name for these slots where they connect? I’ve been calling them connection slots but I just made that up because I don’t know what to call them. :rofl:

Here’s a screenshot of what they look like and sizes.

48 Likes

Do you have a photo of the final result?

1 Like

I have been looking for some trees to make a Christmas centerpiece. Thank you for sharing, these will work great.

2 Likes

It’s generally called a “halved joint” or “cross halving”, but usually lower profile in woodworking…

6 Likes

I’ll get one - right now the only photos i have include my whole big project that I created for a virtual summit… which is why i shared the screenshot instead. :slight_smile:

Ahhh! Thank you so much for this. I was looking up this whole list of woodworking terms but it was a long list, so I gave up and said I’d call them connection slots! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Here you go. This is 1/4" walnut ply, sealed with one coat of Rustoleum glaze spray.
And the imperfections of the branches are intentional, since very few trees I’ve ever seen, if any, are completely symmetrical and perfect. :slight_smile:

(and my 5 y.o. has just claimed my light box as Woody’s place to nap… lol)

23 Likes

Great trees! A good place to nap… Thanks for the share.

7 Likes

Thank you for the trees and photo.

3 Likes

What she said!

5 Likes

Oh tannenbaum! Cool!

3 Likes

Oh cute—thanks!

3 Likes

Those are very nice! Thank you for sharing the design!

3 Likes

Nice share! Thank you very much!

2 Likes

These are just great! Thank you!

1 Like

I love napping under trees. Good call.

3 Likes