A few more leather wallets

Finally got my edge bevel, skive knife, more dyes, and thread so been practicing making more wallets. These are the latest:

I’ve always thought that the packaging of a product is just as important, if not more so than the product itself when it comes to being sold. Perceived value is a real thing. The band that goes around has my name on the front, and the made in Hawaii around the back, done on cardstock, cut and engraved on the laser. Anyway, I’m just gonna keep messing around with leather stuff for a while longer :upside_down_face:

38 Likes

You are really perfecting your leather skills. These are really nice!

2 Likes

Love the wallets - and love that your fingerprint logo continues to look amazing no matter what you carve it into!

3 Likes

Very nice!!

2 Likes

I’m always pleasantly surprised that it works on as many things as it does. It doesn’t always, like how I did just my name on the bands that go around the wallets, but thank you for noticing!

3 Likes

These DO look wonderful! I too really like how your logo looks. I remember when you were first deciding on how you wanted it to look…you made a good decision.

3 Likes

Looking very nice :slight_smile: High quality all around. I wish I could make my stitching that nice heh, I always end up a bit wavy. I picked up some leather last week to make a wallet for my dad and I’ve been watching wallet making videos non stop, I came across this one with a cool way to apply stain using soap bubbles and thought you might get a kick out of it if you have not seen it already. If I get brave ill try it out, this could also look pretty awesome on some wood.

10 Likes

Thanks for this video. I will probably never work with leather, but this was really fun to watch. That dye result is insane.

3 Likes

That is pretty cool! Looks like something at a cellular level.

1 Like

What fascinating way of applying dye. Really enjoy the videos from that channel, very relaxing relaxing they don’t make leather work seem more difficult than it is… I have been using some kind of upholstery sponge material to apply mine and it works for the most part. I have also used melamine sponges and they bubble up, but I’m so OCD that I wipe the micro bubbles away. I did get a pebble pattern accidentally by leaving the excess dye built up:

Recently I’ve seen some fun patterns, one of which was tye dye and I was wondering how I could go about achieving that effect, this bubble technique may work! I’ve considered doing a splatter pattern by flicking a paint brush, but I’ve wanted to do regular wallets first before I started getting funky with them :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

It’s fun remembering back to the earlier days of the forum, and I am glad so many of us are still around from then - thank you!

@primal_healer also, the stitching is a matter of consistency, that’s all. I mentioned it in my last wallet post, but I did a lot of bracelet braiding in my teens, like enough that I started developing carpal tunnel and had to take a break for some time. Anyway, muscle memory has kicked back in and it feels so natural. I have made it a habit to follow the exact same pattern while saddle stitching; left needle through, right needle under the left needle’s thread, repeat. With the first couple of wallets I made I noticed I hadn’t don’t as good a job as I wanted, so now I’m very conscious of it haha

3 Likes

It’s a fun material to work with, you should give it a go!

Wow, beautiful work!

1 Like

Love teh tan wallet! NIce job on that! Cool vid. She has lots of fun tool as well as fun techniques!

1 Like

Nice video.

great video thanks for sharing!

Beautiful wallets! And I agree your presentation takes them over the top!

1 Like

nice!!

1 Like

I’m out of likes. Love your work on these. The stitching is so very nice.

2 Likes