A few more word clocks

I made a few notable word clock designs recently. Though I would share the highlights.

This is a shorter version of the vertical word clock. I made it primarily to fit in the display cases (book cases) that I use in 2 local galleries. The original design used 2 leds per word, skipping a 3rd LED between words. A strip of 60 LEDs to cover 20 words. This skipping, in concert with the gaps in the acrylic and an internal grate helped contain the illumination to the targeted words.
The new version does not skip the 3rd LED. So it is just down to the grate and the gaps in the acrylic. Ends up, that works almost as well but is 2/3 the height and thus fits in the bookcase.

The other new word clock is a new variant on my larger square word clock. The new twist here is that the collaborating artist (RISK) printed his iconic RISK-OLEUM spray can on relatively thin stock which allows the light to shine through without cutting out the upper layer. There is a masking layer underneath that forms the letters. The keen eye will note that while the back and front and masking are large enough to need the passthrough, I have split the other internal layers into parts that fit a standard sheet size to not need to rely on the passthrough working perfectly.

The time (full brightness on those letters )

Startup light show (not full brightness as 1024 LEDS would draw massive current

The underlying grid that separates each letter

The masking layer: thick poster board.

The OG version with cutout letters.

34 Likes

Thanks for these photos and explanations. Your clocks just keep getting better.

11 Likes

Wonderful! Great clocks! Love the mix of gf and electronics!

9 Likes

These are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

Your clocks are always wonderful. Thanks for sharing again!

6 Likes

I like that vertical one as something different. I have a kit of the electronics bits to assemble, been too unwell to start on it so this post is timely.

9 Likes

Your clocks are always awesome! I especially love the vertical one.

8 Likes

LOVE THIS. We had a word clock at an airBnb we stayed at and I loved it.

I never though about making my owner. Thank you for the inspiration

7 Likes

What a great collaboration!

6 Likes

Such timely designs ! :rofl:

5 Likes

ha! I see what you did there…

3 Likes