A fun description

Well, if you want your tattoo to be mysterious… :wink:

4 Likes

The Pappy Van Winkle 15 year was quite good… was it worth $80 a glass? Maybe to someone with a more defined palette. But I certainly appreciated the flavors and feels, and I savored the experience more than anything. My friends Emily (pictured) and Adam (hand pictured) are visiting from CA and were able to enjoy the experience with me, which makes it that much more of an experience!

I tried to get the empty bottle (apparently we finished off the last of the Pappy in the state for this year), but sadly they wouldn’t let me have it. (We venture a guess that the bar would probably sell it on eBay (empties are pulling like $50 - speculation on my part is that a bar buys the bottle and puts something else inside, then sells it as Pappy… I personally wouldn’t have known previously what it tasted like, so I Certainly couldn’t call them on it.)

6 Likes

This

5 Likes

Same here. I’d love to be able to afford to have my taste that refined, though.

4 Likes

Was it sweet or more like Scotch single malts?

2 Likes

I don’t recall sweet so much. It was interesting in that it was strong at first but finished very, very smooth. Honestly, at this point I wish I could recall it better.

1 Like

A friend of mine is a nationally renowned booze expert - he’s pointed out that Pappy uses the same hooch as many other bourbons, so you can get a close match from Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, and others. Try googling “like pappy van winkle”. Pappy’s great and will be slightly different, but you’ll get 80% of the taste from one of the cousin bourbons.

8 Likes

Buffalo Trace is actually one of my favorite Bourbons. Maker’s Mark is a close second (mixes fantastically well with Cider)

1 Like

Buffalo Trace is on my list to try for sure!

Has anybody tried Charred Oak? Smoooooth.

1 Like

will have to look for that one and give it a try

Me too. Love buffalo trace but my first place is knob creek. A little smoother.

1 Like