For my fifth mandala exploration I went smaller.
This time I wanted to try to paint the edges but not use a brush. So I tried thinning acrylic paints and dipping the layers to try to keep the detail from getting gummed up while also getting coverage.
I’m the end the coverage wasn’t great but I kind of liked the effect. It’s possible that I might have better luck with proper primer instead or just watered down acrylic paints, but quarantine measures are in effect and I certainly can’t justify going out for this.
Anyway, I’m bumped right up against the practical limit for how thin that top layer can get: the thin bits are 1mm (as designed, even thinner after kerf gets through with it), making the top layer a floppy flexible ring more than a rigid layer. Handle with care. Bottom line is that there’s really no way to get much smaller than this without a different design.