A Good Day to Mandala Hard

For my fifth mandala exploration I went smaller.

This time I wanted to try to paint the edges but not use a brush. So I tried thinning acrylic paints and dipping the layers to try to keep the detail from getting gummed up while also getting coverage.

I’m the end the coverage wasn’t great but I kind of liked the effect. It’s possible that I might have better luck with proper primer instead or just watered down acrylic paints, but quarantine measures are in effect and I certainly can’t justify going out for this.

Anyway, I’m bumped right up against the practical limit for how thin that top layer can get: the thin bits are 1mm (as designed, even thinner after kerf gets through with it), making the top layer a floppy flexible ring more than a rigid layer. Handle with care. Bottom line is that there’s really no way to get much smaller than this without a different design.

64 Likes

Very nice.

2 Likes

Clever idea with the dipping in paint.

How are you hanging in there in extrovert exile? We introverts in my house are as happy as clams. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well, I’m making a bunch of swords in my backyard. Not sure what that means, but I bet my neighbors are like “uh…”

11 Likes

Next up will be dipping in dye, probably. We’ll see if I get to it anytime soon.

wow!

3 Likes

Wow, too!
(And also for the sword)
Dye dipping should work well as it will get everywhere and add no thickness.

3 Likes

Nice work!

2 Likes

I never get tired of looking at your work. :grinning:

3 Likes

Swoon!

2 Likes

They get nicer and nicer…

2 Likes

or, get really crazy, and try hydro dipping.

10 Likes

It’s so beautiful!!! My birthday is June 27th, in case you didn’t have it recorded. :wink:

7 Likes

That is stunning. I would not want the designs to argue as they would with complex shape and complex paint however.
A simple box with an agate like finish however…

Done as an engrave even as a couple layers at a time with the two or more layers holding the rest in place you can get to a quarter mm or so before the material is so thin that cutting one side burns through to the other.

Ok then amend it as “this is the thinnest practical limit when using through cut methods on 1/8” Baltic birch. “

You could do the engrave method but it would A:take ages and B: end up a gross smoky mess in my opinion. It’s definitely not my aesthetic.

2 Likes

Not a necessity. Takes a lot of Glowforge time but the design work is many times the GF time so the GF has it to spare while you are working on the design part. And as you are wanting not to burn everything anyway high speed can leave the Wood very clean

Again not my aesthetic and since I want depth it would definitely destroy the piece with smoke.

Now a single vary power engrave on acrylic has potential maybe. I might fire that up today, why not.

2 Likes

Beautiful and so delicate!

1 Like

3 hours and 22 minutes. This is way too long. Oh well, I said I’m going to do it, so here we go.

This is why I really don’t like big engraves, and I’m only doing this at 6.3" square. (and yes I know how to speed up engraves, trust me, I wouldn’t be choosing these settings if they weren’t necessary)

2 Likes