A Green man design but now what?

I have been working on this for a while and it finally came down to trying it out and so now it is very nice but I need to figure out where to go from here, As is, as a box top, …?

with a bit more sanding and furniture oil…

37 Likes

That’s so cool! How big is it?

2 Likes

box lid would be good. insert on some woodwork might be nice (like a panel on a mantle piece).

3 Likes

Fantastic level of detail! Or a drawer front with a brass ring through the nose…

7 Likes

I have a batch of 3" wide wood that is a bit over 3/8" thick and is 7-1/2" long with the Engrave 0,15 " deep. I am guessing it is cherry as it is similar if a bit lighter than some known cherry. Here is a closeup of the other side…

3 Likes

Yeah, I like the drawer idea! You could do a whole chest! Would make a nice little valet type thing for the top of the dresser.

5 Likes

Another requirement is that all the pieces have to be less than 3" wide . I have from 1/8 to 1/2" thick, mostly of species I am not sure what is what I do agree that as a big panel over a cherry wood fireplace mantle would look amazing, there is a shortage of such opportunities in Tampa

1 Like

That is really nice. I would just admire it for a bit and its intended use will become obvious in time.

4 Likes

Nice work - draw front sounds good to me.

3 Likes

Oh, wow! I don’t care what you make with it but I want to see it when it’s done!

4 Likes

That is Awsome!! I was wondering what kind of Tape everyone is using? Could you help me out on that? Thanks

There was no masking used anywhere in this case. For the most part, it would do no good as everything would be under such tape with almost nothing left to protect at the end. even the final cuts at each end did not get all the way through the wood but left a quarter mm left that had to be ct with a razor after which there was considerable sanding that had to get past the rough parts and burned char. The large amount of crud was dissolved away with alcohol hand sanitizer, and then a treatment with bleach brought it to the level you see. Before that, it was all basic black and sticky and gooey.

1 Like

Wow, Thought it was taped, nice job!!

1 Like

Well I chickened out a bit and rather than a hinge used some flowers to hold the lid in place so this is the final product…

8 Likes

The tea box is 100% Cherry wood and oiled not shellacked.

2 Likes

Beautiful end result!

3 Likes