A long time ago in a galaxy, far, far away

Just sharing a few Star Wars inspired pieces I have made lately. I mainly use my Glowforge to score or engrave designs into 1/4” maple plywood and then paint them with acrylic paint markers and then clear coat them. I have been on a Star Wars kick watching both live action and animated (mostly animated) and so it spilled over into some of what I have been making. My brother is equally a big Star Wars fan so some of these will make themselves into Christmas presents.

55 Likes

Very artsy and creative. Your painting is perfection. Those masks are INCREDIBLE!!

7 Likes

I agree these are brilliant!

9 Likes

These are great, and I love your sense of humor!
:grin:

8 Likes

Love these! Such precise painting and great humor.

7 Likes

Thank you all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Those are great! Love the “Walk This Way.”

11 Likes

No, no; walk this way!

Ok, lame humor…not enough coffee. Wonderful work, @mrtoad

11 Likes

Really like your artwork!

7 Likes

These are great.

Can you explain your masking/painting technique?

For example, sometimes you have one color right next to another color. How are you painting in the different colors with such perfectly sharp edges? Is there a clever multi-step masking technique I am missing… Or do you just paint really carefully?

8 Likes

Thank you all!

2 Likes

I do not mask. I score or engrave and cut my image with no mask as it is a pain to remove. Then I sand the surface with an orbital sander to remove and burns and the sticky stuff from the cut. I use Posca acrylic paint pens and just am careful. The score helps to prevent any bleed but occasionally when working I do go over a line and then have to fix that area. I do add some stuff sometimes on the background that is not scored or engraved. In the Walk This Way, the dots in the sky are just dots I added. On the disco one, same thing and the entire dance floor I did with a ruler. It was an afterthought so had to do it that way. I love the Posca pens but not all colors come in the various tip sizes so it can alter your plans. Also sometimes certain pens flow differently so they can also alter your plans.

5 Likes

Thanks a bunch! Man, that is a lot of work and more impressive now that I see there are no masking tricks!

4 Likes

Thank you. I love doing it. In my “day job” I have a lot of time sometimes that I can multitask as I wait for certain things. This fills my time. I do all the cutting/engraving part at home then do the painting at work

4 Likes

These are just amazing!

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

You have been busy! These turned out great!

3 Likes

Thank you! I try to paint at least one item a week but sometimes it can be a couple a day.

2 Likes

I love Posca markers for this reason! These are wonderful! I love your sense of humor, especially “Walk this way” :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:
I do love using Poscas. They are expensive but I sell some stuff to pay for my Posca habit

1 Like