A Lucky Puzzle - Rainbow!

Have you noticed how popular mod-style rainbows are lately? This started as a take on that style, but then I had so many lucky clovers popping up in my yard that I knew I needed to add a bit of luck to this design.

I first primed Columbia Purebond 1/4" maple ply with white gesso, then water colored and sealed with triple thick clear spray paint for a super glossy finish. About 5"x5".

They are fun to get creative with and try out new paints on! I even made an ocean themed one, since apparently I have the sea on my brain. Too bad I can’t manage to remember to take photos of most things before they go in the mail!

39 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your process—great idea to do the gesso then watercolor. I’m a big fan of the medium. Love the puzzle design too.

3 Likes

Very cool! The word Lucky in the middle is a nice touch.

4 Likes

Thanks for the photo and write up. I had not thought of using gesso in this manner. Great project.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to leave such nice compliments, @cynd11, @RyanD, and @dklgood!

As far as I can tell, gesso’ed ply isn’t something many/anyone else is doing. I have seen watercolor ground applied to ply, or just watercolor to ply, which are both nice. But the gritty ground likely wouldn’t stay on puzzle pieces and would be a gross texture to touch :nauseated_face:

I have to say, the watercolors act veeeerrrrryyy differently than on watercolor paper! I’ve played around with watercolor tutorial videos, and some simple effects turn out near impossible, while others are the opposite :joy_cat:

It is absolutely necessary to seal the watercolor with a clear coat. It also revives the color to the brightness of how it looks when wet. I’ve finished a painting and been unhappy how blah it looks, just to spray a clear finish on it and fall in love with it again :heart_eyes_cat:

7 Likes

I love all your puzzles so much :gift_heart: :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Awww, thank you :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

That is really a great puzzle!

2 Likes

This is so cute. Thanks for sharing your process!!

2 Likes

Thank you! It turned out way easier that expected when the color was added, but it still makes a pretty little jewel of fun :heart_eyes_cat:

@rvogt it was only a little of the process… I made a whole presentation for the Puzzle Parley, about 15 minutes if you want to watch it! Invite Chaos With Watercolors On Wood with Janell Amely (vPP21 Exclusive) - YouTube

4 Likes

Thank you, saving this to watch!!

1 Like

I love your attention to detail with the shapes of the pieces, your rainbows are also lovely, thanks for sharing the process!

1 Like

Great work! the colors are terrific and shapes are nice, too! Cool!

1 Like

Thank you @awebs76 and @MakerMatthew! I’ve a small collection of wooden puzzles from modern cutters (mostly scroll saw!). I gather shape inspiration from them. My favortie puzzle maker right now is Chris Yates and his Baffler!s Here is a shot from his Instagram: Chris Yates (@superyates) • Instagram photos and videos Instead of watercolors, he uses spray paint on hand cut pieces. The arrows are directly from my experience assembling his puzzles, and he has told me that he got them from another puzzle maker too!

3 Likes

That’s a cool puzzle!

1 Like

Wow his work is amazing! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love your ears! (just beginning to watch your video.)

3 Likes

Aww, Thank you! Goes with the cat theme of my business name and three helpers :joy_cat:

1 Like

Your puzzles are delightful!

4 Likes