A massive project

So a few years back we went on vacation to Gatlinburg Tennessee, there is a place called The Island that we went to. I took this photo there that I like so much. Since then I edited the photo to brighten it up since it’s a night time shot. Then I got this idea last week to make a giant engrave out of it. It looked nice after the engrave by itself but was a little dark, so I hand colored the whole thing, with color pencils. Then hand made a groved slotted photo frame where the panels can slide into place. Then stained the frame with an old school faded stain job by using rubber gloves and thick applying the stain then rubbing it in by hand to lighten parts throughout. If I had to guess how long this project took I would have to guess around 25 hours. This is about 32.5 inches wide by 19.5 inches tall. This is the largest and most time consuming project I have ever done and it turned out amazing! The more you look at it the more detail you see. The photos don’t do it justice as it’s hard to see the light blue color in the photos but still looks great. Tell me what you think, worth the time and effort?

Here is the original photo I took with my phone on vacation:

Here is the completed project:

Here is the uncolored engrave and unsanded and unstained photo frame:

Here is some close up shots of finished project:

Here is a few more angles of the final project ( I wish you could see it in person, even better detail that photo isn’t picking up):

If you want to see all of the photos of it and the whole processes in progression it can be found on my page: Fresh Start Customs they include the slot making, the staining, the color pencils progression, sanding, etc…

Hope you enjoy it, comments welcomed.

42 Likes

Love that color wash effect! :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Stunning, thought I saw more than one panel (confirmed looking at your page) but it is blended so well its hard to tell.

2 Likes

Nice work! You deserve to be very proud of the time it took to do that. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

2 Likes

Wow, that came out great—the coloring really makes it awesome!

2 Likes

Excellent!

2 Likes

Really nice job with your coloring. Congratulations on completion of such a large project!

1 Like

Thanks everyone.

Wow, what an amazing coloring job!

1 Like

Wow that came out nice.

1 Like

that is truly amazing though I feel like I’m just echo chambering.

2 Likes

Thank you, I still appreciate the comment though. A lot of work went into it for sure.

Really nice job on this!

1 Like

What a fantastic display of a memory!
I love “souvenirs” that are custom and personal like that.
Good work.

1 Like