Based on the technique shown in this post Interesting gold leaf technique I decided to take a dive off the “why not” deep edge, and give it a go with some scrap acrylic.
First I had to wait for the leafing adhesive to dry…took a lot longer than the 30 minutes quoted on the bottle.
Since it was a clear acrylic, I decided to use a colored leaf for more contrast. This is about the time I had the thought that maybe this should not also be my first ever leafing project of any kind, but too late for that.
I believe this is the point in every Glowforge experiment that we all know as the “watch anxiously and pray” moment.
Well, that’s my first acrylic engrave done. Time to clean it up and see what it looks like!
The lines are pretty fine in some spots, so part of it isn’t easy to see in this picture, but all in all it could have been worse. Definitely had some mishaps with the foil itself there on the right, but as I mentioned before, it was my first time doing ANY leafing, so with that in mind, I’m just happy it turned out as well as it did. Certainly worth playing with a bit more.