A new Star Wars Mandala

Everyone’s seen the usual mandala, I wanted something different. I found this one and worked with the artist, Tony Bamber, to prep it for lasering.

Before I go any further, here’s how you can find Tony’s work. He’s really talented!

And here’s the specific piece that this is based on:

The final version is almost identical to the original, some very small adjustments had to be made to accommodate the 18" diameter and laser realities.

Lasery details: baltic birch plywood, everything scored. Total job time: several hours across multiple steps, essentially takes an entire day to do it. It’s a lot of paths. I won’t get into all the details about how I pulled this together, but I will say that this project pushed the limits of nearly every aspect of using a Glowforge, from path preparation to job setup to alignment issues (manually aligned, no passthrough), it was all quite difficult.

A few more views:

And now a couple of standard international scaling units… banana:

And a new one I’d like to propose, a stick of gum:

58 Likes

Its a beautiful piece of art!

5 Likes

You pulled off an almost impossible project, and it is fantastic! The alignment alone…

8 Likes

Such a crazy amount of detail. I love it.

10 Likes

Inkscape would routinely choke and hang when I tried to work with it even in sections.

The UI would choke and fail to load the files, sometimes at random. Like it wouldn’t work, then I’d retry and the file would load. I think I was right on the edge of a timeout.

I am not eager to try this again :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That looks great, but I have to ask, how long did it take to engrave? :grin:

2 Likes

no engraving!

6 Likes

That’s some amazing work, wow!

2 Likes

you really scored with this one.

13 Likes

I see what you did there!

4 Likes

Hours. All told probably 5 hours of actual score time plus setup and positioning and alignment micro adjustments, literally an entire Saturday.

And that’s not even counting the test pieces and failures over the course of a few weeks as I got my process and machine dialed in.

7 Likes

You are amazing. Wow.

4 Likes

WOW!!! Everything about this is amazing. Congratulations on how it turned out, you must be so pleased with it!

4 Likes

This is spectacular! Fantastic job!!

3 Likes

While the final piece is fantastic, I’m sure the journey will be what you remember. Such determination to see this through!

6 Likes

Love this! I need this in my life. Tony’s art is great, and it printed awesome on the :glowforge:

9 Likes

Now if they’d just make a Glowforge 2.0 with a 36"x36" work space…

6 Likes

that’s probably at least 4.0. you’re getting pretty massive at 36" squared. 36 width isn’t that uncommon. but 36 depth? that’s generally a beast machine. universal doesn’t have a 36" depth machine. they have 36x24 and 48x24. probably would be an open flatbed laser.

3 Likes

may the banana be with you, always.

4 Likes

Lol nobody ever got what they didn’t ask for! :slight_smile:

At this point I doubt we’ll ever see a Glowforge 2.0, it’s just safer to assume that it’ll never come to be than to try to live in some fantasy future. Dance with the one that brung you, you know?

2 Likes