A project I wish I wasn't asked to make

Anyone who recognizes me in this forum knows I usually have a weird sense of humor on most (ok almost all) of my posts. Unfortunately this is not one of them…
A co-worker in my office has a 3 yr old who was diagnosed with a mass in his brain earlier this year. The doctors determined it was cancerous and he went through with the surgery and chemo afterwards. They had thought they had gotten it all, but then a follow up appointment later this year found multiple masses in the brain and on the spine. Apparently they are inoperable… after weeks and weeks of consultations, etc she basically got a “quality or quantity” choice. Although not a parent, I can’t even imagine how that must feel. Anyways this past week the boy was getting worse and so she took him in on Friday. he was admitted and told that they could not relieve the swelling on the brain (would induce a cardiac arrest) so all they could do was morphine for pain and wait , she was given hours or days deadline. They elected to take him home for hospice and I got a call last night from another co-worker who has been in close touch with her during the ordeal. Apparently they want to have a birthday party for him today and he is a BIG Thomas the Train fan. She asked if I could just make a simple “plastic” TT cake topper with his name for the party.
This is what I came up with at 2am with what I had.

Sorry for the depressing post… maybe keep him in your thoughts/prayers(if so inclined)

60 Likes

That’s terrible. Hopefully the Thomas things give him a few happy moments.

6 Likes

I’m sure you brought them some joy during a horrible time with this. Heartbreaking.

4 Likes

So sorry. I’ve done a few memorial candle things. Always heartbreaking to make such a gift.

2 Likes

Very thoughtful of you and well done for bringing joy to a child who needs it. Sad story, but thank you for your efforts.

4 Likes

Oh God. It makes me miserable to hear stories like that one. There just isn’t anything else you can do. :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

Tragic :sob:, but wonderful you are able to create and add something pretty to his story…

2 Likes

The few projects I’ve done for those who have lost loved ones are heartbreaking every time. I’ve been putting off making a memorial piece for my mom who passed away earlier this year because I don’t want to see it everyday…With that said, I’ve had a lot of good things happen this year as well, and I choose to focus on those things. One of which was welcoming my newborn son a month ago, and I will be making a cool plaque for him pretty soon!

Wonderful project. Terrible circumstances, but most definitely something they’ll cherish forever :sob:

5 Likes

So heart breaking. Your topper is beautiful … Which will be a special addition to their difficult party. Will keep their family and friends in my prayers.

1 Like

Prayers sent.

1 Like

A sad post, but not depressing: that there are caring folks like you willing to do what you can to bring any comfort possible to a family going through that is, I think, incredibly uplifting. You did a great job and I’m proud of you.
All the best to your friends.

4 Likes

What a heart-wrenching story. How generous of you to add a sprinkle of happiness into the boy’s life.

3 Likes

Incredibly sad story. Thank you for doing what you can.

1 Like

Just an update… They celebrated Xmas this past Thursday… Approx. 400 people showed up caroling outside the house !!! :grinning: Make a wish had rented out a showing of “The Grinch” at a local theater and while family and friends were there, the community decorated the house for Xmas… Make a wish is sending them to Disneyland tomorrow (But not sure How Jr. is doing - was not doing well today… they have to drive as he cannot fly)

9 Likes

Just a final update… Junior passed away on Sunday 12/23.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem appropriate to like this post, but I wanted to leave this post to commiserate.
I think it’s so wonderful that you and your community were able to make a child’s final days so special. May you never have to do it again.

2 Likes

Too sad… A wonderful gesture of support that you and your community were able to provide. Blessings!

Didn’t see this update until this morning when I was trying to catch up on what I’ve been missing. I’m so sorry for the parents, and happy that he got to experience the love of an entire community during his tragically short life.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for this little one. Prayers for his family. :sob:

2 Likes