A quick project on a saturday

Whipped this up in inkscape this morning. Turned out pretty nice.

53 Likes

Looks great! Are you a history buff?

3 Likes

Turned out so nice! The ForgeFamily strikes again! :grinning:

2 Likes

hmmm hmm.

source

2 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Absolutely. My home is decorated with significant moments in revolutionary history. This is the latest addition (and first that I made myself)

5 Likes

Not sure what the gif is implyingā€¦but thanks?

Looks like a great job! :grinning:
What is that youā€™re printing it on - a piece of wood?

2 Likes

I love history. If you havenā€™t seen it yet, Iā€™ve been enjoying videos from https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson. Typically, itā€™s a lot more mundane than The Revolutionary War. Still pretty interesting. I did like what Iā€™ve seen of the HBO series John Adams, but I havenā€™t been able to get through it due to all the crap I have to get done from day to day.

Currenly, Iā€™ve been a bit more into the 1800s, though, and wear clothes from www.historicalemporium.com when Iā€™m not mucking about in dirt or roofing tile goop and what have you.

5 Likes

Itā€™s these planks from hobby lobby. With coupon they work out to ~ 7 bucks.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Wood-Crafting/Unfinished-Wood/Walnut-Hollow-Large-Basswood-Country-Plank/p/144820

4 Likes

Radā€¦Iā€™ll check out that channel. Iā€™m not super ā€˜strictā€™ on my history. I really enjoyed the wildly inaccurate Sons of Liberty that History did not too long ago. Frankly, if it makes people interested in learning about ā€˜realā€™ history via a ā€˜funā€™ show that they can enjoyā€¦I fully support it.

2 Likes

I hadnā€™t seen the ones with the rough natural edgesā€¦that looks pretty sharp! :grinning:

1 Like

Nice subject and engrave!

ā€œGentlemen we need to hang together, for we will surely hang separately.ā€ - Benjamin Franklin, if memory serves :thinking:

4 Likes

3 Likes

ā€œBlind we are notā€ - Yoda

giphy (8)

2 Likes

Yupā€“this is one of his political cartoons. If anyone is interested, you can find all sorts of cool historical stuff like this thatā€™s now public domain on the Library of Congress site and also DocsTeach on the National Archives. (Sorryā€¦the librarian in me canā€™t resist sharing a good resource!)

As @klipper found out, it takes a bit of cleanup in Inkscape for some of the older stuff, but hereā€™s a link to the original on the LOC site:

7 Likes

Happy to share my SVG if anyone would like to make one of their own.

DM me.

2 Likes

And if youā€™re ever in DC you can get a library card for the LOC and get access to the collection in the original dead tree versions. Pretty awesome being able to request them to pull a book from the 1600s and they actually bring it to you and let you read it! (Or get good photos of pages of interest for later engraving :slightly_smiling_face:)

And itā€™s free! Your taxes at work.

9 Likes

It is nice to see where some peopleā€™s memes have a real source.

1 Like

Squeee! :grinning: The LOC is the one place I really wanted to see when I was in DC on a history teachers trip a few years agoā€¦they were closed on our one unscheduled day!

I felt the same way in the archives at the Henry Ford museumā€¦we were trying to find info about the change from the Model T to the A for a lesson plan, and they brought out all sorts of stuff for usā€¦old newspaper ads, time cards, interoffice memos, letters from customersā€¦unreal to hold that stuff in your hands!

9 Likes