A ridiculous equation

OK, everyone, I’m curious what you all think about a very silly plan.

My status: I’m in line for a Basic+Filter from the initial Kickstarter (I’d say about 2/3 of the way through it, so down the queue a bit), with which I’m sure I would be happy. I have not yet received The Email. I have decided that I’m going to upgrade and my wife foolishly said yes in a moment of distraction.

So, I figure that if I do nothing I could get The Email any time between now and maybe even August, at which time I would indicate I want the upgrade. My reasoning is that it’s slightly less time that the extra money would not be in my account earning interest due to my amazing financial acumen (hint: that was a joke). But seriously, the “free loan” for the last 2 years to GF has been the one raised-eyebrow comment my wife has hit me with consistently. She does, in fact, have amazing financial acumen.

Now, I also want to maximize the “delay award” of $20 each month that goes by without The Email. To do that, I should upgrade before The Email comes out, as the Pro queue is going to roll out significantly after the Basic and so the Pro Email would likely come a month later for another sweet $20.

So, to recap for the six of you who haven’t already closed this post in disgust, I want to Upgrade as late as possible to hold onto my money, but early enough that it’s before The Email would have come for the Basic.

Yes, I am trying to game the system for a potential profit of maybe $19.27.

Yes, I could have profited by just upgrading a lot sooner or just by getting the Pro from the get-go.

Yes, it all sounds pretty stupid now that I type it out.

But my ability to feel shame is equal to my financial acumen, so I’m posting this anyway. Hit me.

22 Likes

No “hits.” I try to make my money go as far as I can too. That’s why I didn’t order till later in the game. Just sat watching. Problem is there’s no way to know when the email will arrive. A rather big batch seemed to go out last night. Good news is if you guess wrong and get the email first, you’re only out $20 theoretical of credit . Good luck! :grinning:

4 Likes

There are people who said they got their email yesterday and had ordered in the last few days of the pre-order campaign.
Take that as you want, but it looks like the orders are coming out pretty fast now!

2 Likes

That’s what I need! Actionable Intelligence. Or any kind, really…

I’m thinking I better upgrade…

4 Likes

ROFL!

Do it now.

If you get the email before you decide to upgrade, your clock stops with the first email.

7 Likes

My retirement account, to which I have contributed the maximum amount since 1983, has less in it than I paid. (Would have been better putting the money under the mattress.) So whether the interest matters or not depends on whether you or your wife controls the money. :wink:

6 Likes
11 Likes

Oh, it’s her. We play to our strengths. I’m really good at cutting the lawn and reaching stuff on the higher shelves.

9 Likes

yeah…not sure how much that means in the grand scheme, though, since some users who ordered earlier / basic / US haven’t heard. who knows what factors they’re taking into account (it could come now, quick, op, go spend a buncha money)!

4 Likes

I’d do the upgrade since it is stated you stop receiving the $20 per month once you are notified your unit is ready for shipment weather you accept it or delay.

3 Likes

Doesn’t receiving the E-mail also lock you out of upgrades?

1 Like

No, my understanding is that the email is your last chance to upgrade. Geez, someone please correct me if I have that wrong!

I am not sure. I do know (sadly) that answering the email closes the door on upgrades. (I got email and answered just a few days before the announcement of the changes in the Pro passthrough configuration.)

1 Like

The email sends you through something we call the “shipping acceptance flow”. $20 bonus ends when you get the email; ability to upgrade ends when you finish the SAF.

7 Likes

Thanks Dan!

1 Like

OK, so typing it all out and then hearing from all of you has solidified my plans. I completed my upgrade to Pro this morning. (woo-hoo!) I’ll have a little bit longer of a wait, but I’m sure I’ll be happy with my decision.

I shall now open to a new page in my notebook and start listing projects that the pass-through slots will now allow me to tackle. And I guess this weekend I’ll replan my workshop so I have enough space in front and behind to take advantage of it.

I am very excited.

16 Likes

Love this.

2 Likes

I feel very comfortable being honest with you folks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very squeeeee! :grin: (I’m excited too!)

2 Likes

It’s a rather easy group to converse with, minus one or two of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes