A simple practical cut/tool

So I have this cabinet car as I made for someone. Kept having issues with the quartersawn white oak for the doors cupping and with the dividers not going in square. So I gave him back his money and kept it. So now I am putting it to use, but I want adjustable shelves whereas the customer didn’t. Unfortunately, all the shelf pin jigs are too tall. GLOWFORGE to the rescue. I designed one in Vectric Aspire, imported to GF, and bob’s your uncle, I had the tool I needed. I could have used my cnc, but the GF was faster to set up and make it.

28 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile: The cabinet’s nice looking too. It’s so useful having a laser cutter in the home. So many problems it solves. Your tool looks like the drilling jigs my wife makes with our Glowforge, that she then uses to drill holes in various things to use as tops for unique windchimes.

6 Likes

Exactly, it’s a shelf pin jig. Only took a couple of minutes to cut it out. I wish they had guide lines in the GFUI, or I could have done it all there.

6 Likes

I am wondering what was needed as you could easily have extra lines that you don’t cut in the design. :grin:

1 Like

Gotta love practical cuts! It’s great for fixing things!

2 Likes

Wish I could go back in time now. I didn’t want to drop the cash for a larger template so I found a small 6 hole jig instead. Then, I drilled 220 holes into a custom built in book shelf. Making something custom size on the GF is such a great idea! Not to mention a lot cheaper for jigs you only see yourself using once or twice. Great idea!

4 Likes

Exactly! And faster than shopping for one that works.

1 Like

I suggested pull-out guides in the UI a couple of years ago.
Dunno if it’s in the hopper or not.

We have all heard the adage “measure twice, cut once.” Let me add to it “mark the top and the bottom.” Yes folks, on the fronts, I used one side for the bottom and the flip on the backs. Grrrr. So I decided to do top and bottom on the backs AND fronts. Grrrrr.

3 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like