A specific question about acrylic sheets

And volume of fumes inhaled.

I’m reminded of the mice who die from over exposure to phenylalanine - gallons of it every day (whereas I only consume it as an ingredient in a 12oz can of diet soda).

The fumes from the gasoline hose in your car (or the gas can nozzle into your lawnmower) are toxic too.

It’s all about exposures.

2 Likes

Acrylic fumes are also highly poisonous and flammable so this is why we vent outside and/or filter the exhaust.

A solvent welded joint would not contain any material other than the two pieces that are chemically bonded together.

A glue/adhesive joint is another issue, if nothing else it introduces an unknown material of unknown laserability.

4 Likes

So you are saying the GF filter is worthless? The whole point of it is to remove toxic fumes.

…and putting toxic fumes into the environment – whether I breathe them or not – is always a bad idea, and should always be avoided if at all possible. The concept of ahimsa…

So don’t use a laser then as most exhaust is toxic unless you stick to engraving stone and glass. So you either send it outside or filter it and leave the toxins in the filter, which you then dispose of into the environment.

2 Likes

I actually think I could pull my project off with sandwiching some opaque material (not necessarily acrylic, just something sturdy, and now that I think of it, not necessarily black (but it’s preferred)) cut to the same shapes around a clear acrylic “core.”

Adhesives after or (possibly) none needed at all. The design I’m working on could possibly snap tight without the extra step.

1 Like

I tried laminating two ~24 x 12" sheets of acrylic together using acrylic solvent once, it didn’t turn out too good. Your mileage may vary though. A big problem was getting the solvent applied to the whole surface before it evaporated. I’d recommend the slow-acting stuff if you decide to give it a try. The second issue that I ran into was having a large enough flat horizontal surface and a large enough flat weight that I didn’t mind risking getting acrylic solvent drizzled onto. Horizontal surfaces are scarce in my house.

3 Likes

They’re collection points for various & sundry projects and possessions without a home in my house :grinning:

2 Likes

think of it like this…

I don’t get your point. Laser fumes are toxic so GF provide a filter. If it doesn’t remove the toxins then it is pointless as we will all have to vent outside.

1 Like

As possible, If you know something you have a choice about is very toxic – perhaps don’t do it. We could argue all day about responsible stewardship of the earth – 3d printing with PLA vs. ABS etc. but I won’t change your mind or alter your views. I made the mistake of indicating my comment was a reply to you, rather than a general response regarding choices of cutting something made more toxic than the original materials without the glue. I apologize for connecting the comment to your post.

2 Likes

I’ve only seen 3-ply acrylic colored (not clear inside). Trotec carries it .

1 Like