A Tower for our Cat - When You've Made Things for Everyone You Know

Beautiful work & love the designs on the leather & that they are not all the same artist/cartoon style (and mixing in English Simon’s Cat with Hospitality cat & others!). Almost a shame that once the tower is assembled, only your cat can really see them–but can’t wait to see a picture of it finished & your cute kittie on it!

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to the finished project.

1 Like

I can’t wait to see it completed. It is really cool so far.

1 Like

That will be a remarkable cat tree!

I did a test fit yesterday and need to go back to my metal lathe and make a stronger base. Delrin was good but it gives a little so this time aluminum. The pole is supported by a screw in the base that, when turned, provides upward thrust to wedge the pole between the floor and ceiling like those pole lamps from the 50s and 60s that had an internal spring to provide pressure up and down.

Our floor and ceiling are concrete so this tree is going to be very stable. Our apartment is a renovated warehouse with steel reinforced concrete floors and ceilings.

The external wall is 4’ thick concrete with brick facing. These old buildings are strong. Unless we get an earthquake.

Thanks for following along.
scott…

4 Likes

The Koji Tower is open for business. A few pictures showing tower and Koji actually using it.

Koji coming out of his box.

Tower but no cat.

Koji Climbs! It took a few cat treats to get him up there.

The penthouse still on the drawing board.

15 Likes

Awesome.

1 Like

Only two weeks later, we have a pic!

Nice tower. I’m sure they love it!

2 Likes

Wow, this looks amazing!

And I’m really intrigued about the style of your home, too! I’m from southern Colorado originally and it reminds me of like an adobe home or something. (My friend from New Mexico had a home built in that style, so maybe that picture is what is in my mind.)

1 Like

Amazing! This is such a high quality cat tree. Built like a tank but it has so much style. The riveted leather gives off a 30’s vibe.

1 Like

I had to go to the lathe and machine a stronger base screw system.

6 Likes

I’d love to be your cat.

3 Likes

Love the cat tower great job on the leather work :slight_smile: , here is my cat hotel? not sure what to call it, but all I know is most days my cat sleeps better than I do it seems and she is slightly spoiled.

3 Likes

That’s impressive. Koji saw it and now he wants a penthouse with privacy, more scratching options and a hot tub. Back to the workshop.

4 Likes

It’s a Manhattan apartment in the West Village. Once a bonded warehouse from late 1880’s. Turned into apartments in 1975. 11’ ceilings with steel reinforced concrete floors and ceiling. 3’ thick walls at the lower levels. We are on second floor. Just to the left of the tower is a 13’ arched window set into the street facing wall.

scott…

2 Likes

Wow. I’ll bet just hanging a picture is a real challenge. But what a unique space. I’m sure there are compensations.

Awesome! I love places with so much personality like this! Sounds like your tower fits in perfectly with the style! :slight_smile: Thanks so much for sharing! I love seeing all the different ideas - helps trigger my creativity.

Ah, that’s what I was guessing! Reminded me of my friend’s brownstone on W. 11th. I would sleep in I guess what was a basement, and light would stream in through a windowbox greenhouse shaft that was created to utilize a grate in the walk up to their door on the first level.

2 Likes

I was just wondering how Koji is doing with his tower!

2 Likes

He is going on it tentatively. Catnip, treats and using a cat dancer to entice him up works. My husband saw him up on the 4th level a few mornings ago but it hasn’t replaced his window perch just yet. Here he is last night hanging out after a catnip buzz.

Thanks for asking.

scott…IMG_1131

5 Likes