A Wild Kratt Creature Power Disc holder

When I first got the Glowforge, I made a bunch of Wild Kratt Creature Power Discs for my son to experiment with the engraving feature. Well he’s collected quite a few over the past couple of years and he asked to design a holder for them while we were on break this week. He made some sketches and I made some suggestions, and we ended up with an octagonal-shaped slide out case.

This was my first time to do a polygon shaped box, I used the festi boxes py site as my base model and then tweaked it from there. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely put an octagonal face with a hole in it on the open side of the octagon box. I wasn’t expecting so little of the tab to “engage” with the sides and they’re quite long, so I’m not quite sure how it’s going to hold up long term since there’s no frame of any kind to keep all 8 sides together on the open end of the box. I know that top side of the octagon isn’t seated right, but I just couldn’t get it aligned right, so hopefully I added enough super glue to keep it all together.

There’s a captive sliding rail in the bottom. I designed in holes for magnets to keep the box from sliding open unexpectedly, but the sliding rail was so tight, they weren’t necessary. I had to do quite a bit of sanding to make it easy enough for the little one to open.

He’s happy enough with the end product, but this was one of those frustrating projects that I don’t want to attempt again. I still have superglue on my fingers and a rogue glue streak across my phone to remind me of the hassle, but my son says it was all worth it, so I guess it was :slight_smile:

35 Likes

Very clever design!

4 Likes

Pez!!!

3 Likes

Nice work, you two make a great team!

4 Likes

Superglue “fixes” a ton of design issues - it’ll probably stay together til your kid has moved out of the house!

2 Likes

That is very cool! I might have to try my hand at that!

You could always use wood glue mixed with sawdust of the same type of wood on the joints to fill in the gaps and sand them smooth afterwards. Then again that will be a lot of glue and sawdust.

3 Likes

I like the polygon shape for this. Super glue can be a bear.

I had a runaway magnet the other day with super glue on it … glued my thumb and finger together. Tried quite a few things to dissolve it. Finally it was men’s shaving gel that made that happen.

1 Like

Wow, I never would have thought to try shaving gel … I’ve just about peeled most of it off, but I’ll definitely keep that in mind for next time!

With small or needle files you can knock the inside corners off the fingers so they fit better and then a bit of sanding after they are together and the top will be flush as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

What a great family project. Neat design. I love that your son thinks all your trouble was worth it. :slightly_smiling_face: If I had a nickel for all the times I’ve glued my fingers together, well let’s just say I’d have a lot of nickels.

2 Likes

Interesting idea!