A Zipper Box

In my meanderings about the web looking for projects to try, I’ve stumbled across a “Zipper Box” that I liked on some Russian web site. Can’t figure out how to buy the product or the design files, so I thought I’d make my own.

I didn’t use any box generators, just did my own tabs and slots. Trickiest part was the hinge, since the teeth of the zipper have an allowance that’s all of perhaps 1/32". I was shocked that it went together and worked perfectly on the first try.

Some pictures:

78 Likes

Cool looking box…What did you use for the hinges?

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a neat idea! Turned out great too! :grinning:

2 Likes

Using four 3mm x 8mm screws. The tricky part was figuring out where the hinge axis needed to be for the correct travel. Turned out that it’s offset outside the box interior.

3 Likes

Thank You…

1 Like

My brain first tried to decide how the zipper could possibly function, then I scrolled down. Neat!

8 Likes

I had to look at it twice to see also. Clever Illusion…

4 Likes

And now you’re mulling over how you could design one that IS functional. Right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Chuckle! I was. :smile:

8 Likes

I love it! I’ve got that one in my Pinterest inspiration board, too.

3 Likes

Real nifty.

2 Likes

In case anyone is curious, this is a link to where I saw the original design:

https://vk.com/woody_house?w=wall-82539052_367

2 Likes

That’s way beyond my design skills :smile:

1 Like

Great fun opening. It took me a little staring but I think I got the secret buttoned up.

4 Likes

Me too!!!

4 Likes

Wow, I absolutely love it!!!

2 Likes

I especially love the zipper … The sewer in me … plus it is very different than the standard box.

2 Likes

what!!! That’s realy cool!

4 Likes

That is so cool!

3 Likes

looks real good how long it took to make