Apparently batteries are on my brain right now that I have a Glowforge I can use again I have a terrible habit of picking up packs of AAA batteries when I’m pretty sure I’m out… and of course there’s always at least one unopened pack in the house. I decided I needed to do something to keep them organised.
This project was my excuse to start playing with OnShape and the various helper libraries people have made. After one false start (where I was very glad I only cut two pieces to test the fit!), I worked out how to configure everything correctly. Coming from SolveSpace, I was amazed at how pleasant and straightforward it was to work with OnShape, and I really appreciated the extra features.
Anyway, on to the photos:
And one view of the ramps inside before I closed up the front:
Overall I’m moderately happy with this piece. The fit was fairly poor still, and needed hammering to go together. I guess the good news is that it won’t come apart… ever! I should have also measured the material thickness rather than guessing, as the tabs don’t quite extend far enough for a nice smooth joint.
On the positive sides, it feels very nice and solid, holds 16 batteries, and I was incredibly impressed with OnShape and the Laser Joints plugin in particular. The final ramp to the hopper at the front had absolutely perfect and beautiful alignment, which was very pleasing. I was initially worried that my allowances around a standard AAA battery size were too small, but I couldn’t be happier with the mechanical workings!
Next up: changing two numbers in OnShape and cutting a dispenser for AA batteries…