Abalone sheets

Beautiful work!

Thanks for sharing your sources too!

9 Likes

The wood choices and the abalone is a great combination. Beautiful work.

7 Likes

Such a cool discovery! I’m definitely bookmarking this for ideas :slight_smile:

I still have some pieces left from the koa I picked up from Amanda and Chris when I visited the Big Island a few years back. The stuff is gorgeous. Easy to work with (it cuts with the PG medium walnut hardwood setting reliably) and has so much life. I heartily recommend it.

I just made this for my SO yesterday out of it!

22 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Your pieces are gorgeous. I have had a sheet of abalone for years sadly waiting for me to cut it. Maybe this will spur me on!

7 Likes

If anyone can share cut settings in BTM, that would be awesome.

Abalone is one of my favorite looks but I have yet to actually use any… I gotta order some.

2 Likes

They have been shared a while back:

I love the look of this also. I really need to play around with some, I have been meaning to for a while…

8 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing the info. Your earrings are beautiful.

4 Likes

Koa is such a beautiful wood. The abalone inlay really matches well.

3 Likes

Wow! That would make nice inlays for knife scales. Could you PM me the laser settings? I’m in the process of making some knife handles and I’d love to try it. How thick is this stuff? I imagine not very.

1 Like

Truly beautiful and thank you for sharing your sources!

3 Likes

Wow so kind of you to share, your pieces are beautiful!

2 Likes

They are absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

2 Likes

These are BEAUTIFUL!!! It’s also nice to have a glowforge buddy connection out here in Hawaii!!!

Thanks for sharing your source. Craft Closet has a nice selection of abalone inlay too. Really fun to work with. I’ve never adjusted size and it fits perfectly. Always good to have more sources!
//craftcloset.com/collections/shell-veneer

4 Likes

Thanks for the share. It has the one in stock that I want. The others didnt

1 Like

These are absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Those are absolutely beautiful!! I don’t do earrings, but I have been using Koa wood for several projects. But those are absolutely gorgeous!!

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

What cut settings do you recommend for the Abalone sheets?

1 Like

Hello,
This is fabulous! I’m making some personalized tools for my family. I am struggling with getting the abalone safely off the backing. The settings didn’t cut through the 3M adhesive backing at all. As I’m altering them I keep obliterating the shape of the text. Any tips? I really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Deb

1 Like